BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 21 December, 2000, 13:32 GMT
Pipe bomb attack on house
The device exploded in the porch of the house
The device exploded in the porch of the house
A couple and their two young children have escaped injury in a pipe bomb attack on their home in County Antrim.

The device exploded in the porch of the house at Hillview Road in Carrickfergus just after 0030 GMT on Thursday.

The front door and a window were damaged.

The police have said they have yet to establish a motive for the attack.

They want to hear from anyone who saw a blue Ford Fiesta with the registration number DXI 2545 in the area on Thursday night.

Attack condemned

The car was found burnt out in nearby Prospect Link.

A Northern Ireland assembly man has condemned the attack.

Speaking on Thursday, East Antrim Alliance Party assembly member Sean Neeson said he was "mystified" by the attack which took place in a private housing development.

He said there had been attacks in the town, some related to a loyalist feud, but that the motivation for this attack was a "mystery" at the moment.

Mr Neeson said: "A young family, a few days before Christmas, has been greatly shocked by what happened and it has to be condemned."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories