BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Saturday, 23 December, 2000, 05:58 GMT
UN concern over Congo fighting

The United Nations Security Council says it is deeply concerned by the resumption of fighting in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The head of the council Russian ambassador, Sergei Lavrov, noted ceasefire violations in two provinces Katanga and Equator.

Earlier, allies of President Laurent Kabila threatened Rwanda with massive retaliation unless it pulls back its forces from the southern Congolese province of Katanga, where it's been backing rebels in several weeks of fighting.

The Zimbabwean president, Robert Mugabe, said troops from his country, Angola and Namibia -- who all support President Kabila -- would use all means at their disposal against Rwandan forces if they didn't withdraw in line with an agreement signed in Harare earlier this month.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories