BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 21 December, 2000, 03:37 GMT
Serbia jails soldiers for Kosovo crimes
Serb soldiers withdrawing from Kosovo
Serb soldiers have not been held to account before
Three Serb soldiers have been jailed by a Belgrade court for murder committed during the Kosovo conflict last year.


This is the first time that a court in Serbia has cooperated with Unmik (the UN mission in Kosovo) to uncover war crimes

Belgrade-base human rights group
It is the first time that the Yugoslav army has officially acknowledged such crimes.

The conviction came at the end of a month-long trial at a military court in the city of Nis.

Correspondents say it is an indication that the new Yugoslav President, Vojislav Kostunica, is serious about coming to terms with the war crimes committed by his countrymen during a decade of conflict in the Balkans.

Soldier's mission

The men - an officer and two reservists - were jailed for the murdering an elderly ethnic Albanian couple in Kosovo.

The three Serbs, who had pleaded not guilty, were given sentences of more than four years each.

Yugoslav President Voijislav Kostunica
Kostunica says Serb must confront crimes committed
The officer, Major Dragisa Petrovic, was jailed for inciting the murder after ordering that all the villagers of Gornja Susica, a village near the Kosovo capital Pristina, be driven out.

The case came to light because another Yugoslav soldier followed up reports of the murder and pushed for the perpetrators to be brought to justice.

"This is the first time that a court in Serbia has cooperated with Unmik (the UN mission in Kosovo) to uncover war crimes," said a Belgrade-based human rights group, the Humanitarian Law Fund.

Correspondents say it is unlikely that the trial would have gone ahead if the former President, Slobodan Milosevic, were still in power.

President Kostunica has said that Serbs must confront crimes committed on their side of the war, but has not moved against Mr Milosevic himself, although he has been indicted by the International War Crimes Tribunal.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

04 Oct 00 | Europe
UN prosecutor hints at arrests
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories