BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 20 December, 2000, 17:06 GMT
Contact re-established with refugees in Guinea

The United Nations refugee agency, UNHCR, says it has re-established contact with a significant proportion of four-hundred-thousand missing refugees in southern Guinea.

They'd disappeared ten days ago following attacks by insurgents near the country's southern border.

The agency representative in Guinea, Chris Ache, said more than eighty thousand refugees had been found north of the Guinean market town of Gueckedou -- and he said he had information that more than two-hundred thousand others were in the same region.

Mr Ache said relief was being sent by road and air to the displaced refugees -- who are largely from Sierra Leone and Liberia. Conakry accuses President Charles Taylor's Liberia of being behind the recent attacks across its border.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories