BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



Health minister Bairbre de Brun on BBC Radio Ulster
"We're glad that service is to be maintained and we hope to see further developments"
 real 28k

Wednesday, 20 December, 2000, 18:14 GMT
Burns surgeon to stay
Surgeons
Cosmetic surgery waiting lists set to grow
Northern Ireland's only specialist burns surgeon is to stay in the province, health minister Bairbre de Brun has announced.

Kalid Khan, who has been the consultant plastic surgeon at the regional burns unit in Belfast's Royal Victoria Hospital, was to take up a post in England early next year.

Dr Khan, who was involved in treating many of those injured in 1998 Omagh bombing, was due to leave his current position on Friday.

His departure would have meant the end of non-urgent plastic surgery, such as breast reconstruction, in Northern Ireland. At present this is carried out at the Ulster Hospital in Dundonald.

Dr Joe Hendron, Assembly health committee chairman
Dr Joe Hendron: Delighted that Dr Khan is to stay
The news was welcomed by the chairman of the Assembly's health committee, Dr Joe Hendron, who said he was delighted that the situation had been resolved.

"Dr Khan provides a wide service to the people of Northern Ireland from those victims of the Omagh bombing to ladies that have had breast cancer reconstruction."

The burns unit has treated people with appalling injuries such as those wounded in the Troubles as well as injuries incurred as a result of road traffic and industrial accidents.

Waiting lists for plastic surgery in the province are already very long, with a minimum wait of two years for an elective operation.

Malachy Keyes, whose daughter Donna Marie McGillion was badly burned in the Omagh bombing, led a deputation to the health minister when the burns specialist announced his resignation last month.

Mr Keyes said he was delighted that Dr Khan has withdrawn his resignation.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

12 Sep 00 | Northern Ireland
Highest ever NI waiting lists
23 Jan 00 | Health
Cosmetic surgery soars
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories