| You are in: World: Middle East | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Wednesday, 27 December, 2000, 02:12 GMT
Palestinians debate Clinton proposals
Palestinian leaders have been meeting to decide their response to compromise proposals put forward by President Clinton that could hold the key to a Middle East peace settlement. The chief Palestinian negotiator, Saeb Erekat, told the BBC that clarification had been sought from the Americans on a number of questions. Mr Erekat said the Palestinians needed to see how the details of the Clinton proposals translated onto maps. The Israeli prime minister, Ehud Barak, says he's ready to accept the proposals if the Palestinians do. The Israeli foreign minister, Shlomo Ben-Ami, says Israel is also prepared to accept the deployment of an international force in the Jordan valley as part of a peace deal. Both the Israelis and the Palestinians are due to give their response to President Clinton on Wednesday. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|