| You are in: World: Middle East | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Saturday, 18 November, 2000, 11:08 GMT
Annan leads Mid-east peace drive
![]() Continued clashes have led to more deaths
UN Secretary General Kofi Annan is planning to meet Palestinians and Israelis with the aim of sending some kind of international observer group to the Middle East.
In the latest clashes, a Palestinian gunman and an Israeli soldier died in Gaza on Saturday.
Originally the Palestinians proposed a 2,000 strong UN force armed with light weapons which would patrol the West Bank and Gaza. But Israel said it could not accept the idea and the United States made it clear that without Israel's consent it would veto the force.
Mr Annan's task will be to assess what kind of international observer group could prove acceptable to both sides and what the group's precise tasks should be. Two killed He told Security Council members his first priority was to stop the violence.
The council also wants a fact-finding commission, which both sides agreed to during the Sharm el-Sheikh summit, to go to the Middle East as soon as possible. The commission's role will be to examine what sparked the recent killings but diplomats hope that it too, by its very presence, might help to play a role in damping down the level of violence. A Palestinian man and an Israeli soldier died on Saturday in a gun-battle started when the Palestinian opened fire on an Israeli military compound in Gaza. Two other Israeli soldiers were injured in the incident.
Residents in the West Bank, however, said the night had been one of the quietest nights in more than seven weeks of violence, in which more than 240 people have been killed. On Friday Mr Arafat called for a halt to shooting at Israelis from areas under full Palestinian control.
In an interview with Palestinian radio, he said he was doing everything he could to stop the bloodshed. Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak gave a lukewarm response, saying he wanted not words but action. He has demanded that Mr Arafat end violent Palestinian protests before any dialogue can resume. Under a ceasefire accord brokered in Sharm el-Sheikh in October, both sides agreed to issue public statements unequivocally calling for an end to violence.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|