BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Saturday, 18 November, 2000, 05:05 GMT
British troops for Euro force

Britain has now confirmed details of its planned contribution to a new European Union rapid-reaction force.

The Ministry of Defence says it will offer at least twelve-thousand troops and seventy-two combat aircraft, as well as eighteen warships, which represent half the Royal Navy's surface fleet.

The new EU military command totalling sixty-thousand personnel is expected to be in place by two-thousand-and-three, though it won't be a standing army and it won't be involved in warfare: British officials said the force could be involved in humanitarian tasks, like last year's peacekeeping in East Timor.

A BBC Defence correspondent says critics warn that with shrinking European defence budgets and a lack of equipment, the new force must work hard to be taken seriously.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories