| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, 17 November, 2000, 13:43 GMT
Thieves ruin love on net wedding
![]() How the Belfast Newsletter reported the story
Heartless thieves have shattered a dream wedding for a couple whose love blossomed over the internet.
Scotsman Matthew Brown and his fiance Pauline Heath, a mother of seven from Northern Ireland, met through an online chat room six months ago. They planned to marry next April but may have to cancel their big day after Matthew was robbed at knifepoint by thugs who stole their life-savings of more than £10,000. "We are just devastated," said Matthew, 20, a factory worker from Livingston in central Scotland.
He told BBC News Online in Belfast: "This has just ruined us. We just feel sick and I don't know what we'll do. All our savings have gone and we've no money now to pay for the wedding." The incident happened in a park in Portadown, County Armagh, where 37-old-Pauline lives. Matthew was set upon by two men who tried to grab a hold-all containing the money. When he refused to give them the bag, one of the attackers struck him with the knife. "One guy kept swishing at me with a knife and I protected myself with my arm," he said. "Luckily, I was wearing a thick pullover and wasn't stabbed but I was caught in the face." Romance blossomed The muggers were eventually able to get away with the money which was to be used to pay for the wedding reception, as well as Christmas presents. Matthew was left in a state of shock and with cuts to his head, cheek and thumb. "That day we were going to pay for our wedding and get Christmas presents and stuff for the house," he said. Matthew now lives with Pauline in Portadown after the couple hit it off when they spoke via the internet in June. Neither of them had been looking for love but romance blossomed and led to Matthew meeting his future wife for the first time a month later. "We just joined (the chat room) to talk to other people but we got on so well, " said Matthew. Meanwhile, anyone who has information about the attack is asked to contact the detectives on 028 38332424.
|
Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|