| You are in: World: Middle East | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Friday, 17 November, 2000, 11:34 GMT
UN condemns Hizbollah attack
The United Nations has condemned an attack by Lebanese Hizbollah guerrillas on Israeli forces in a disputed border area. A UN representative Rolf Knutsson said such incidents threatened a new spiral of violence, following the Israeli withdrawal in May. The Hizbollah attack targetted a military convoy in the Shebaa area with roadside bombs; Israeli reports said there was a small explosion but no casualties. Last month, Hizbollah seized three Israeli soldiers in the same area. Israel says the Shebaa area is Syrian land and that its future is linked to final peace talks with Damascus. But Lebanon and Syria insist it is Lebanese. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|