| You are in: UK | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, 17 November, 2000, 15:46 GMT
Sir Elton apologetic in court
![]() Sir Elton says he was swindled over tour expenses
Sir Elton John has admitted misleading the public about his relationship with his former lover and manager John Reid.
He also apologised for "irresponsibly" dragging up details of Mr Reid's previous criminal conviction, but still maintained that he had been swindled by him. On his third and final day giving evidence in the High Court, Sir Elton admitted a statement he issued in 1998 suggesting that their business relationship had "ended amicably" was untrue. "I did that because I wanted us both to get on with our lives. I did believe that Mr Reid had acted dishonestly at that point.
"I was just trying to end it in the most amicable and friendly way," Sir Elton said. "It was not necessarily what I meant, but it was what was put out to the press and the people." The singer, dressed in a khaki Versace suit, pale blue shirt and green tie, had told the open courtroom he regretted making a "very irresponsible remark" about Mr Reid on Thursday. He said it happened was tired at the end of a long day of "badgering questions". He had responded to questions from barrister Andrew Fletcher, representing one of the parties being sued by Sir Elton, in connection with Mr Reid's handling of tour costs at the centre of the case.
Asked whether it was not highly improbable that his loyal friend had deliberately "swindled" him out of touring costs, Sir Elton replied: "Why would someone with a criminal record be incapable of doing something like that?" Sir Elton was referring to John Reid's conviction for punching a journalist in New Zealand which saw him serve a one month sentence in 1974.
Regret He admitted in court on Friday that he did not think the incident had anything to do with Mr Reid's financial judgement. "I regret saying that and I would like to apologise for saying that," he said. Nevertheless, Sir Elton accused Mr Reid of betraying him over touring costs.
He doubted Mr Reid had made an "honest mistake" about what was agreed between them over tour expenses in St Tropez in 1984. The performer is suing Andrew Haydon, 45, former managing director of John Reid Enterprises (JREL), his management company for many years. Sir Elton alleges Mr Haydon was negligent in allowing JREL to charge him "several millions" in overseas tour expenses - including booking agents, accountants and producers. He says the cost should have been borne by JREL under a management agreement. Lavish lifestyle He also accuses City accountancy firm PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) - formerly Price Waterhouse - of negligence in managing his affairs. He has already accepted £3.4m from Mr Reid in settlement of his claims against him. Both Mr Haydon and PwC contest the allegations against them. The court has already heard of the pop star's lavish lifestyle and how he had blown nearly £40m in 20 months. After completing his evidence, Sir Elton told waiting reporters: "It has been very tiring but I think I got very fair treatment from all the QCs." The hearing, which began at the end of last month, is expected to last about eight weeks.
|
See also:
Top UK stories now:
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|