| You are in: World: Europe | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 17 November, 2000, 13:41 GMT
Austria remembers ski train victims
![]() Mourners arriving at Salzburg Cathedral
A memorial service has been held in Austria for the victims of last week's devastating train tunnel fire near the ski resort of Kaprun.
Mourners attending the service in Salzburg Cathedral included Austrian President Thomas Klestil, Chancellor Wolfgang Schuessel, and his German counterpart, Gerhard Schroeder.
"In the name of the Republic of Austria, I bid farewell to the victims and, with me, all Austrians bow their heads in respect for the dead," President Klestil told the mourners. The cause of the blaze remains unclear, although final results of chemical analysis of an oily substance found on the track leading into the tunnel could be known later on Friday. Officials say the substance is similar in consistency to lubricants used by the train's manufacturers. Meanwhile, legal teams have moved in to assess possible compensation claims surrounding the tragedy. Legal moves A New York lawyer, Ed Fagan, who has been leading a high-profile case against Austria on behalf of holocaust victims, has expressed interest in taking up any such court action.
He indicated that as many as 20 families were interested in his offer. "On a per-person basis you are talking about millions of dollars per person, assuming you have got a person who is a breadwinner," he said earlier in the week. Technical fault Forensic investigators and eyewitnesses have suggested a technical fault may have started the fire before the train even entered the tunnel. A team of 10 accident investigators is at the scene sifting through debris for clues. "They will be there for at least a week and we are expecting further experts from abroad to help with the operation," said a spokeswoman for the region's administration.
All the bodies of those who died have now been pulled from the funicular's melted wreckage. Victims' remains have been taken to Salzburg, where pathologists are using DNA techniques to identify them. The process could take several weeks because the corpses are so badly burned. An official list of victims released on Thursday revealed that 37 of them were under the age of 20.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|