BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Mark Devenport at the UN
"Mr Ashdown is described as the only serious candidate at the moment"
 real 28k

Friday, 17 November, 2000, 11:10 GMT
Kosovo's Kouchner to quit
Kouchner applauds election winners
Bowing out: Kouchner says he is free now elections are over
The UN administrator in Kosovo, Bernard Kouchner, has revealed that he is leaving the job - and has suggested that the UK's Paddy Ashdown would be a worthy successor.

Mr Kouchner took over as Kosovo administrator last year, after the end of the Nato bombing campaign which drove Yugoslav forces out of the province.

Kosovo: Special Report
He has just steered the province through a round of municipal elections, and told reporters he had decided in advance that it would be the right moment to go.

Speaking on Friday, Mr Ashdown, former leader of the UK's Liberal Democrat Party, said he would be interested in the job.

He intends to remain a MP until the next British general election but after that he said he would be looking for work.

Paddy Ashdown
Waiting in the wings: UK's Ashdown tipped for the job
"As I have frequently said, if there is any role I can play in securing or stabilising peace in the Balkans, then I would very seriously consider it," he said.

Mr Kouchner says he has met Mr Ashdown several times, and sees him as a good replacement.

A US source has told the BBC that Washington sees Mr Ashdown as the only serious candidate at the moment.

Mr Ashdown had previously been blacklisted by the US because he backs independence for Kosovo.

Officials now say Washington does not hold that view any longer.


I hope the secretary-general will be able to find a successor as extraordinarily talented as the man we have heard from today

US ambassador Richard Holbrooke
The BBC's Mark Devenport at the UN says the Americans remain keen to see Mr Kouchner staying in his job as long as possible.

US ambassador Richard Holbrooke said his leadership and guidance were essential.

"If and when Bernard Kouchner does leave, I hope the secretary-general will be able to find a successor as extraordinarily talented as the man we have heard from today," he said.

Mr Kouchner said he would stay in his post until UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan had found a successor.

Disappointed

"I don't want to resign, and I don't want to corner anyone," he told reporters.

Mr Kouchner said he had always told Mr Annan that he would be free after the Bosnian elections and added: "So I am free."

Earlier this year Mr Kouchner tried and failed to get the job of UN High Commissioner of Refugees, and admitted he was still disappointed.

He is a founder of the doctors' charity Medecins Sans Frontieres, and was French minister of health before taking on the Kosovo job.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

28 Oct 00 | Europe
Kosovo Albanians flock to polls
21 Apr 99 | UK Politics
'My worst experience' - Ashdown
19 Jul 99 | UK Politics
Ashdown on mission to Kosovo
10 Aug 99 | UK Politics
Action man bows out
15 Nov 00 | Europe
Bosnia poll sparks UN regret
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories