| You are in: UK | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Thursday, 16 November, 2000, 10:16 GMT
Beatle's attacker 'insane'
![]() Olivia and George Harrison: Survived attack
The man accused of trying to kill ex-Beatle George Harrison has been found not guilty by reason of insanity, on the direction of the trial judge.
Michael Abram, 34, of Huyton, Merseyside, had denied trying to kill Mr Harrison, 57, and his wife Olivia, 52, on 30 December last year. The judge, Mr Justice Astill, described the incident as a "horrifying attack" and ordered Mr Abram to be sent to hospital "without time restriction". George Harrison's son Dhani said afterwards: "It's tragic anyone should suffer such a mental breakdown. "We can never forget he was full of hatred and violence when he came into our home.
He said the family would ask the home secretary to notify them if Mr Abram was to re-enter the community, after the judge refused their application. "We will now continue to rebuild our lives," he added, saying his father was "doing fine". Oxford Crown Court heard Mr Abram was a paranoid schizophrenic, who thought Harrison had possessed him and that all the Beatles were witches. Looking pale and nervous, he gave no reaction as the verdict was delivered.
Mr Abram broke into the Harrisons' mansion house in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, at about 0330GMT and attacked the couple, stabbing Mr Harrison. The former Beatle gave a written statement to the court saying he was convinced he had been fatally stabbed. Mr Harrison's stab wound missed his heart by an inch, leaving him with a punctured lung. Andrew Pengally, a surgeon at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading, where Mr Harrison was taken, said he was lucky to be alive. Remorse "There was a stab wound higher up his body which fortunately did not penetrate," he said. "If it had done it could have hit some major blood vessels." Mr Abram, a former heroin addict, was said to have expressed considerable remorse to the psychiatrist and wanted to write a letter to the family.
His mother, Lynda, told the BBC she hoped the Harrisons would be able to forgive him. "He was a very ill man last year. Under normal circumstances, he would never do anything like this," she said. "He is a lovely lad." She said her son had been let down by doctors over the last nine years. Mental health charities are now calling for an inquiry into the case. Zito Trust spokesman Michael Howlitt said: "The way it is a number of people are having to be attacked in order to get treatment for the patient or offender who has committed the attack."
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top UK stories now:
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|