| You are in: World: South Asia | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Wednesday, 15 November, 2000, 23:09 GMT
India celebrates film star's release
![]() Rajkumar fans are jubilant
There have been scenes of celebration on the streets of the southern Indian city of Bangalore following the release of the one of the country's most famous film actors, Rajkumar.
The star, aged 72, had been held in a forest hideout for more than three months by one of the country's most notorious bandits, Veerappan.
One of his daughters told the BBC she expected her father home early on Thursday morning. He had already been given a medical check-up and was in good health, she added. As news of Rajkumar's release spread earlier in the day, his fans celebrated, setting off firecrackers and distributing sweets. "He is our living legend. We are so overcome with joy to hear that he has been released," one fan, Mallikarjun, said.
The news of the release was also greeted with relief by government officials who have faced considerable embarrassment over the hostage crisis. "We have many lessons to learn from this experience," Karnataka Chief Minister, SM Krishna, said in Bangalore. Deadlock It is as yet unclear whether any concessions were made to Veerappan to gain the star's release but officials say Rajkumar's health had caused concern.
"It was psychological warfare between the governments and Veerappan. Perhaps he ran out of patience," the Karnataka chief minister said. Veerappan had made several demands, including the release of dozens of jailed comrades. The state governments made moves towards meeting those demands - but a plan to release the bandit's associates from prison was blocked by the Supreme Court. The BBC's Jill McGivering in Delhi says that ruling appeared to cause a deadlock in the crisis. Veerappan and his gang, said to number about 15, have terrorised police and forest authorities in three southern Indian states - Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala - for nearly two decades. Now in his mid-50s, Veerappan is accused of killing more than 100 people and smuggling millions of dollars worth of sandalwood and ivory. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|