BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 15 November, 2000, 17:18 GMT
EU ends Yugoslav visa curbs
Kostunica
Kostunica told MEPs Yugoslavia wants to join the EU
By Oana Lungescu in Brussels

The European Union has lifted visa restrictions on almost 200 officials associated with former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic, triggering criticism from some of the country's new pro-democracy leaders.

The decision to relax the visa ban was taken discreetly last week after consultations with the new government in Belgrade, but has only now been made public.


I was most surprised by the removal of Rade Markovic from the list

Zoran Djindjic, Yugoslav opposition
The names of almost 200 people were removed from an original blacklist of about 800 Yugoslav officials, military and businessmen, who were banned from travelling to the EU due to their close Milosevic connections.

Among those no longer on the list are the army chief, General Nebojsa Pavkovic, who commanded the Yugoslav troops in Kosovo last year, and the head of the Serbian secret service, Rade Markovic, who has refused to step down despite allegations that he was behind the kidnapping and murder of Milosevic opponents.

Criticism

The EU decision was criticised by some democratic leaders in Serbia, who complained that they had not been informed.

But France, which holds the rotating presidency of the EU, said it had been taken in consultation with the new authorities in Belgrade.

Rade Markovic
Rade Markovic: Allegations of kidnapping and murder
An EU official said that none of those removed from the list were charged with war crimes, and that many seemed to have had specific tasks on 9 October, when Slobodan Milosevic was toppled under pressure from mass protests.

Neither the army nor the police intervened in force.

EU diplomats believe the easing of the visa restrictions will help Mr Kostunica consolidate his power ahead of the crucial general elections in Serbia next month.

But they stress that the black list could be changed again, at any time in the future.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

13 Oct 00 | Europe
EU millions for Serbia
15 Feb 00 | Europe
EU considers future expansion
13 Oct 00 | Europe
Progress in Yugoslav struggle
13 Oct 00 | Europe
High stakes for EU
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories