BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 16 November, 2000, 10:42 GMT
After the war, the holiday

Serbia may have rid itself of Slobodan Milosevic, but can it convince tourists to return to the troubled country? Can world flashpoints reinvent themselves as holiday hotspots?

Tens of thousands of UK tourists once flocked to Yugoslavia every year - then came the bitter civil war and a decade of ethnic strife.

US troops practise a beach landing
"Primary objective, men ... sun loungers."
Serbia and Montenegro, the sole remaining Yugoslav republics, have launched an offensive to win over British holidaymakers once again.

At a travel exhibition in London, tourism bosses from both regions are trying to dispel memories of the war and Nato's recent air campaign against the Milosevic regime, and remind tourists of the area's national parks, historic sites and beaches.

The country is safe for foreigners, is the message.

Don't mention the war

Despite the country's eagerness to welcome tourist pounds, the foreign office has warned Yugoslavia-bound Britons to be discreet and avoid political discussions.

Serbia may face an uphill struggle convincing a British public bombarded for nine years with horrific news reports to pack their bags and head to the former war zone.

However, neighbouring Croatia has managed to woo many travel writers. "If that is a war zone I, for one, am ready to enlist," said Rachel Crofts of the Irish News.

Prince Charles visits the Falklands
"You, little fellow, I'm looking for a hotel."
The country has not entirely escaped the legacy of conflict. Several Austrian tourists were killed when their vehicle hit a landmine, reported The Times last week.

Fears about uncleared minefields are an obstacles tourism officials in the Falkland Islands have had to counter since the 1982 clash between British and Argentine troops.

Sam Bailey, of the Falkland Islands tourist office, says the mines - which could number 40,000 according to the Catholic Agency for Overseas Development - should not dissuade holidaymakers.

Enemy mine

"There are still minefields, but those areas are very clearly sectioned off. There is no danger to tourists."

The islands, in the South Atlantic, already attract as many as 25,000 tourist each year, many keen to enjoy the rugged, unspoilt scenery.

"The Falklands were brought to everyone's attention by the conflict, but we're trying to move forward," says Ms Bailey.

So-called "eco-tourists" are being encouraged to join those who visit the islands' old battlefields and memorials.

Political grafitti in Belfast
Tourists are flocking to Northern Ireland
"If you wanted to visit battlefields, you can do that, but you can also come to see the islands for what they are, a modern, thriving country."

Northern Ireland is one tourist destination which has had little difficulty throwing off its troubled past. Orla Farren, from the local tourist board, says holidaymakers were champing at the bit to visit.

"We'd said for years that once violence was removed from the scenario, people would return. We were proved right."

Peace dividend

Following a ceasefire, tourist numbers jumped 67% in 1995. With the resumption of violence the next year "it was like turning off a tap," says Ms Farren.

Visitor receipts are on the up again. Ms Farren says people are only too eager to explore this "undiscovered corner of Ireland". To match this, the tourist board has opted to publicise the region's attractions, rather than attempt to allay fears.

An Israeli soldier in Bethlehem
Bethlehem: Wish you were here?
"We didn't do a campaign saying: 'The guns are silent - come to Northern Ireland'."

Of course, the Troubles are not entirely barren ground for tour operators. A so-called "terror tour" offers visitors the chance to see many of Belfast's less uplifting attractions.

Likewise, in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip tourists can sign up for organised trips to Palestinian refugee camps. However, the current troubles mean there are few holidaymakers around.

Empty rooms at the inn

Some 1.5 million people were expected to visit Bethlehem in the last three months of this year. With many countries warning their citizens against travelling, local hoteliers are in despair.

It now seems the $200m spent sprucing up the town and increasing the stock of visitor accommodation may have been somewhat optimistic.

Armed civilian in Angola
Angola: Continental breakfast or full English?
But, perhaps hopes of a tourism renaissance in the Middle East were not as misplaced as the desire to attract holidaymakers to one Angolan town.

Despite a 25-year civil war and the fact that landmines outnumber people in the African state, Bailundo is confident enough to promote itself as: "The next great tourist destination."

On visiting the "dilapidated" town, the Independent on Sunday's Anna Richardson, found the locals were eager to travel themselves.

"When it is time to leave, there is a stampede to get on to the aircraft. Soldiers have to beat back would-be passengers with their guns."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

01 Dec 99 | Northern Ireland
All aboard Belfast's terror tour
27 Oct 00 | Northern Ireland
New company to boost tourism
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories