BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



Reevel Alderson, home affairs correspondent
"The defence has been outlining what it thinks is significant"
 real 56k

Wednesday, 15 November, 2000, 20:13 GMT
Palestinian denies Lockerbie bomb role
Trial bench
The judges have been asked to find Talb in contempt
A Palestinian convicted of a bomb attack in Copenhagen in 1985 has told the Lockerbie trial he had played no part in the blowing up of Pan Am 103.

Mohammed Abu Talb admitted on Wednesday he was "not innocent" of the bombing of a Danish synagogue, but he insisted he was telling the truth when he denied taking part in Lockerbie.

The key prosecution witness is serving a life sentence in a Swedish jail for the Copenhagen incident.

Under questioning from defence counsel Richard Keen QC, the Palestinian refused to confirm that he was guilty. But he finally conceded: "I was not innocent."

Trial details
The two accused are Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, 48, and Al Amin Khalifa Fhimah, 44
Pan Am Flight 103 exploded over Lockerbie on 21 December 1988, killing all 259 people on board and another 11 on the ground
The two men deny three charges - murder, conspiracy to murder and a breach of the 1982 Aviation Security Act
The trial is taking place in a Scottish courtroom at Camp Zeist, in the Netherlands
The case is being heard by a panel of Scottish judges
He said no-one had instructed him to carry out the bombing.

Mr Keen put it to Talb that he was "simply unwilling to tell this court who was implicated in or responsible for the terrorist acts in which you were involved".

He replied: "Yes, because I did not know the person."

Mr Keen asked: "So if you had been instructed to take part in a conspiracy to place a bomb on board an American airliner, such as Pan Am 103, you would not tell us who gave you the instruction, would you?"

Talb replied: "Rest assured sir, if I knew anything about this case I would have told the court."

Mr Keen had earlier challenged his insistence that he severed links with the Popular Palestinian Struggle Front (PPSF) when he moved with his wife and family to Sweden in 1983.

But Talb insisted that he had gone to Sweden "to carry on a normal life".

Bomb instructions

He denied sending one of his brothers from Sweden to Syria in the spring of 1985 to undergo bomb-making training.

Mr Keen put it to him that his brother returned in June 1985 with $5,000 for Talb and instructions to bomb American and Jewish targets.

Talb said: "I do not remember that that has happened."

Mr Keen also suggested that four detonators had been smuggled back in the handle of his brother's case.

Luqa Airport
The bomb allegedly started its journey in Malta
"That is not correct," replied Talb.

Lord Sutherland earlier ruled that the court did have power to take action if Talb committed contempt of court.

Defence lawyers claimed that Talb should be charged with contempt for refusing to answer questions on his military background and training.

Alastair Campbell, prosecuting, claimed the judges had no effective sanctions against Talb because he had to be returned to Sweden by 18 November.

Lord Sutherland told Talb: "As a crown witness you have immunity from prosecution for the offence with which this court is concerned, namely the bombing of Pan Am 103.

Special defence

"That being so, you are obliged to answer any questions which in the court's view are relevant to this inquiry."

Two Libyans are on trial for the Lockerbie atrocity but they have blamed Talb and nine other people.

In a special defence, counsel for the two accused - Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, and Al Amin Khalifa Fhimah - allege that the Syrian-backed Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command (PFLP-GC) and the lesser-known PPSF were responsible for the bomb attack.

Talb is mentioned in this special defence as having links with both groups.

Prosecutors allege the two Libyans planted a bomb in a suitcase at Malta's Luqa airport and routed it onto a plane bound for Frankfurt which was eventually transferred to the ill-fated flight to New York.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Lockerbie megapuff graphic

AUDIO VIDEO

Key stories

Features

The trial
See also:

08 Nov 00 | World
Lockerbie request goes to Syria
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more World stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more World stories