BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



Monmouthshire Council Education Director Phil Cooke
"It does continue a situation for Mrs Evans but only for literally, hopefully, a few days."
 real 28k

Tuesday, 14 November, 2000, 23:25 GMT
Slap case head's future still uncertain
Suspended headteacher Marjorie Evans
Mrs Evans' suspension has been lifted, but she remains on paid leave
Head teacher Marjorie Evans, cleared of slapping a 10-year-old pupil, has still to learn if she will face disciplinary action for the alleged mistreatment of pupils.

Governors of St Mary's Junior School in Caldicot met Monmouthshire County Borough education director Phil Cooke for four hours on Tuesday, but failed to decide on what to do.


She could still face disciplinary action

Paul Cooke
Mr Cooke said afterwards he and the governors had decided to draw up a "plan of action" in consultation with the LEA, staff at the school and trade unions.

Mrs Evans, 56, recently said she had not ruled out the possibility of seeking compensation and taking legal action after being suspended from her job more than a year ago.

Hoping to return

She currently remains on paid leave, but has said she hopes to return to her school before Christmas.

St Marys' Primary School
Mrs Evans hopes to return to St Mary's School by Christmas
Mr Cooke said: "There's been no decision about disciplinary action but the meeting came to a positive conclusion. The aim is for further discussions to take place next week.

"She could still face disciplinary action - we have got to look at all aspects of the situation."

Mrs Evans was suspended last September after she was charged with slapping a 10-year-old pupil at the school.

She was convicted of the assault in July, but cleared on appeal last month.

Police report

But the suspension remained in place because police were investigating further allegations of pupil mistreatment at the school.

The Crown Prosecution Service decided last month to take no further action against Mrs Evans and the school's board of governors elected to allow her to return to her post.

A panel of governors has since been examining the 400-page report of allegations put together by Gwent Police.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories