| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Tuesday, 14 November, 2000, 15:27 GMT
Aceh calls for 'Timor-style' vote
![]() At least 30 people were killed during a recent Aceh rally
Tens of thousands of people have taken part in an independence rally in the Indonesian province of Aceh.
A meeting of separatist leaders at the gathering approved a declaration calling for an East Timor-style referendum on independence.
It came just days after another mass rally in the town which left at least 30 dead after police opened fire on demonstrators. The declaration agreed by the independence leaders on Tuesday also demanded:
Separatist leaders called on the people of Aceh to stage a week-long strike from 27 November if the demands were not implemented. Police Meanwhile, police have urged the government to call off the current ceasefire with the Aceh rebels.
He accused the separatist Free Aceh Movement of abusing the truce which it signed with the government in the summer. "We are running out of patience. We have done our part to obey the humanitarian pause [truce], but they continued to attack police and soldiers, even when they were praying," he said. General Saaf said 75 soldiers, 108 policemen, and 660 civilians had been killed and hundreds of others wounded in separatist violence since August 1998. Shootings Rebel leaders said earlier this week they were pulling out of peace talks with the government in protest at escalating violence by the security forces. The separatist conflict, which has been raging since 1975, has left thousands dead. Last week, tens of thousands of people took part in a two-day rally in Banda Aceh to call for independence. Eyewitnesses and human rights groups said police and troops opened fire on civilians trying to reach the town. Independence activists said at least 50 people were killed, while police put the figure at 30. Security forces said they had been defending themselves from attack. Correspondents said police and troops stayed away from Tuesday's protest in Banda Aceh. However, the organisers said roadblocks were put up outside the city and people travelling to the demonstration were turned back. Reports said the crowds dispersed peacefully after the rally.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|