| You are in: World | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Tuesday, 14 November, 2000, 18:59 GMT
Lockerbie lawyers quiz Palestinian
![]() Talb has denied involvement in the bombing
Defence lawyers have started questioning a Palestinian man who they accuse of the Lockerbie bombing.
Mohammed Abu Talb - who is serving a life sentence in a Swedish jail for bombing offences - has already denied he was involved in the attack on Pan Am Flight 103. Two Libyans are on trial for the atrocity - but they have blamed Talb and nine other people. He is a former member of a Palestinian terror group, the Palestinian Popular Struggle Front (PPSF).
On Tuesday, under questioning from defence QC Bill Taylor, Talb said he was in jail for bombing offences - but denied he was guilty. Talb was jailed for life in 1989 after being convicted of the bombing of a Danish synagogue in 1985. But he told Mr Taylor: "I was convicted although I was not there and did not admit the crime. I ended my work and all activities relating to Palestine at end of '82." Mr Taylor also questioned him on his family's links with terrorism. Talb said his sister-in-law had been killed while she carried out an assassination attempt in Israel. Describing her as a martyr, he said she may have been killed by the current Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak - then a senior army officer. Asked if she was killed by Israeli soldiers, Talb replied: "Yes - Ehud Barak, the current prime minister, himself shot at her." Mr Taylor suggested that Talb's brother-in-law had returned to Sweden from Syria with detonators hidden in a suitcase handle. Bomb attack But he replied: "I know nothing about that." In a special defence, counsel for the two accused - Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, and Al Amin Khalifa Fhimah - allege that the Syrian-backed Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command (PFLP-GC) and the lesser-known PPSF were responsible for the bomb attack. Talb is mentioned in this special defence as having links with both groups. Prosecutors allege the two Libyans planted a bomb in a suitcase at Malta's Luqa airport and routed it onto a plane bound for Frankfurt which was eventually transferred to the ill-fated flight to New York.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top World stories now:
Links to more World stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more World stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|