BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 14 November, 2000, 08:05 GMT
Police search Suharto home for Tommy
Harry Montolalu
A map of the Suharto home did not help find the fugitive
Indonesian police raided the home of former President Suharto for a second time in an unsuccessful effort to catch his fugitive son Tommy, who was convicted of corruption in September.

Police have been trying to apprehend Hutomo Mandala Putra, known as Tommy Suharto, since 3 November.


After I checked the whole complex, I believe he is not here

Superintendant Harry Montolalu
Their failure to catch the former playboy businessman is an embarrassment for the government of President Abdurrahman Wahid, who has vowed to fight corruption.

They had hoped to catch him at the sickbed of his 79-year-old father, whose physical condition is said to be deteriorating.

'Nowhere to be found'

But after a two-hour search of the Suharto mansion, Senior Superintendent Harry Montolalu said Tommy Suharto was "nowhere to be found.

"After I checked the whole complex, I believe he is not here", Mr Montolalu told reporters.

The detective said he had not spoken to former President Suharto, who was asleep.

Mr Suharto
Former President Suharto may be facing a fourth stroke
The senior Suharto was reported to have suffered breathing difficulties and high blood pressure on Monday, factors that could lead to a fourth stroke.

A family spokesman said there were no plans to take him to hospital.

Mr Montolalu said that police would question members of the Suharto family on Wednesday as part of their effort to track down Tommy Suharto.

Threatening call

Lawyers acting for the fugitive said he would not surrender unless his safety in prison could be guaranteed. They claim he received a call telling him he would be killed in jail.

The attorney-general dismissed Tommy Suharto's concerns, saying the prison authorities guaranteed the safety of all inmates.

wanted posters
A militant student group has put up wanted posters for Tommy Suharto
The BBC's Jakarta correspondent, Richard Galpin, says the government has to ensure that Tommy Suharto serves his 18-month sentence in order to maintain its credibility.

His lawyers have said they do not know where Tommy Suharto is, and that their only contact with him is by mobile phone.

Tommy Suharto, 38, was sentenced to 18 months in prison after being convicted on 22 September of being involved in a land scam that cost the government $11m.

He is the first member of the Suharto family to be convicted of corruption.

Former President Suharto was declared physically and mentally unfit to stand trial earlier this year.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

15 Sep 00 | Asia-Pacific
Profile: Suharto's playboy son
16 Sep 00 | Asia-Pacific
Police question Suharto's son
28 Sep 00 | Asia-Pacific
Suharto's fortune
07 Nov 00 | Asia-Pacific
Police prepare to arrest Tommy Suharto
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories