BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 14 November, 2000, 16:06 GMT
Seven injured in Iran hijack attempt

An Iranian security official General Mohammed Hejazi has said that no one was killed in yesterday's failed hijack attempt of a passenger plane during a domestic flights.

He was speaking after the English-language daily Tehran Times reported that two of the crew members had been shot dead in a violent exchange after the plane -- which had taken off from Ahvas-- landed at Bandar Abbas.

The official Iranian news agency IRNA says seven people were injured.

According to the Kayhan daily newspaper, members of four Iranian families tried to hijack the plane; security forces reportedly overpowered and arrested the hijackers.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories