| You are in: World: Middle East | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Monday, 13 November, 2000, 19:06 GMT
Mid-East clashes intensify
![]() More than 210 people have now died in the recent violence
Four Israelis and two Palestininian teenagers are reported to have been killed in separate incidents across the Palestinian territories.
The killings have prompted Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak to call on the army to take "necessary steps".
Later, an Israeli truck driver was reportedly shot dead in an attack in the Gaza Strip. Two Palestinian teenagers were also killed near the Khan Yunis refugee camp when Israeli soldiers guarding a nearby Jewish settlement opened fire on stone-throwing demonstrators. The latest incidents take the death toll to more than 210 people, most of them Palestinian, killed in Arab-Israeli violence since September. 'Grave violation' The Israeli prime minister's bureau chief and policy co-ordinator, Gilead Sher, told journalists that Mr Barak had consulted senior officials about the incident by phone.
"The prime minister sees the violation of agreement on the Palestinian side as grave and instructed the Israeli army to take necessary steps," he said. Summit call After meeting for several hours on Sunday, Israel radio reported President Clinton told Mr Barak that he wants to hold another summit with him and the Palestinian leader, Yasser Arafat, before leaving office in January. But the radio quoted an Israeli official as saying that such a summit would only be possible if there was a reduction in the current level of violence. Mr Barak gave few details of the latest meeting and senior Israeli officials were quoted as saying there had been no breakthrough. UN investigation Monday's deaths came as Palestinian officials held talks with the United Nations Human Rights Commissioner, Mary Robinson, in the West Bank town of al-Bireh.
The Palestinians have blamed Jewish settlers for an attack on Sunday on a convoy of vehicles carrying Mrs Robinson. One bullet hit a patrol car but no-one was hurt. The Israeli army said the shots came from areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|