BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Jonathan Marcus
"Mr Putin seems to have decided to seek a deal"
 real 28k

Monday, 13 November, 2000, 16:43 GMT
Putin proposes deep nuclear cuts
SS25 Topol missile
Russia proposes limiting nuclear arsenals to 1,500 missiles
Russian President Vladimir Putin has proposed that Russia and the US cut their nuclear arsenals to 1,500 warheads each.

President Putin said that the cut could be carried out before 2008 and suggested that even deeper reductions were possible.

Vladimir Putin
President Putin says the cuts are possible by 2008
The announcement followed an acknowledgement from strategic missile forces commander General Vladimir Yakovlev that the US was likely to press ahead with plans for an anti-missile defence system despite Moscow's opposition.

General Yakovlev suggested that the US could counterbalance the proposed system by cutting its strategic missile arsenal.

Previously Moscow has sharply criticised Washington's plans as a violation of the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty which limits defences against nuclear attack.

Change of strategy

Under the current Start II Treaty, Russian and US nuclear arsenals are to be restricted to 3,000-3,500 warheads each.

Nuclear milestones
1972: Nixon-Brezhnev talks lead to Salt I and ABM anti-missile treaties
1979: Carter-Brezhnev summit ends in Salt II, limiting cruise missiles
1986: Reagan-Gorbachev meeting collapses over US Star Wars plan
1987: Reagan-Gorbachev treaty agrees to scrap mid-range missiles
1991: Bush-Gorbachev signing of Start I, cutting long-range weapons
1993: Clinton-Yeltsin Start II agreement on further cuts in strategic weapons
April 2000: Moscow ratifies Start II
And the two countries had been negotiating on the basis of cuts to 2,000-2,500 for Start III. But Russia has until now been insisting that these talks cannot begin unless Washington honours the anti-missile treaty.

The new proposal would allow the US to go ahead with its plans without jeopardising the Start III talks.

General Yakovlev's comments came during a lull in the ABM debate caused by the US presidential elections.

US President Bill Clinton decided in September to postpone the National Missile Defence (NMD) project for a year so that the technology could undergo further tests.

Both candidates in the US presidential election support the NMD, but George W Bush wants an expanded version of the system.

Mr Bush was critical of Mr Clinton's decision while Mr Gore favours a more cautious approach.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

02 Sep 00 | Americas
Welcome for US missile delay
04 Jun 00 | Europe
Hard bargaining at the Kremlin
04 Jun 00 | Europe
Missile row mars Kremlin talks
05 Jun 00 | Europe
Why Russia fears US 'Star Wars'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories