BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Sunday, 12 November, 2000, 18:35 GMT
Fujimori accused of taking 'drug money'
Two men wear masks of Mr Montesinos and President Fujimori in a mock jail
Montesinos is said to have taken the money on behalf of Fujimori
The Peruvian public prosecutor has ordered an investigation into allegations that the late Colombian drug-baron, Pablo Escobar, donated $1m to President Alberto Fujimori's first presidential campaign in 1989.

The allegations were made in an interview with Mr Escobar's brother, Roberto, published in the Colombian news magazine Cambio.

Pablo Escobar
Pablo Escobar: His brother says the drug baron gave Fujimori $1m
Roberto Escobar said the disgraced former spy chief, Vladimiro Montesinos, had received the money on behalf on Mr Fujimori.

He also said that Pablo Escobar had spoken on the phone to Mr Fujimori and had promised collaboration if he won the presidency.

Mr Fujimori's former wife, congresswoman Susana Higushi, has denied the accusations.

Former intelligence chief Vladimiro Montesinos
Montesinos: Still in hiding
She said her husband did not meet Mr Montesinos until April 1990, before a second round of voting in the country's presidential elections

The former head of the Peruvian intelligence service is currently in hiding after returning from Panama, where he had fled after being implicated in a corruption scandal which forced Mr Fujimori to call early elections.

Ongong investigation

The public prosecutor, Jose Ugaz, has said he will investigate Roberto Escobar's claims as part of the ongoing process against Mr Montesinos.

The former spy chief is currently being investigated for crimes including blackmail, extortion, money laundering and drug trafficking.

President Fujimori
Fujimori himself has led searches for Montesinos
Mr Fujimori has recently sought to distance himself from Mr Montesinos - a close adviser for 10 years - amid accusations from his opponents that he remains too close to the former intelligence chief.

The president has himself led searches for his former aide in areas surrounding Lima.

Last week, he said the government had discovered evidence that Mr Montesinos had secret bank accounts in the Cayman Islands, Uruguay and the United States.

Swiss banking authorities have already announced a freeze on about $48m held in accounts he opened.

Mr Montesinos is thought to have stashed away tens of millions of dollars.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

18 Sep 00 | Americas
Q & A: Fujimori resignation
10 Nov 00 | Americas
US bars Peru spy chief
03 Nov 00 | Americas
Peru's attorney- general resigns
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories