The only surviving suspect in Tuesday's attack on the US embassy in Damascus has died of his injuries, Syrian authorities have said.
Washington thanked Syria for safeguarding personnel
Investigators were not able to question him, media reports said.
Three other attackers were killed at the scene when they tried to drive two cars at the compound.
No-one has said they carried out the attack but Syria's ambassador in the US said it was possibly the work of Islamist group Soldiers of Damascus.
Attackers 'all Syrian'
The US had thanked Syria, which it lists as a sponsor of terrorism, for its actions, saying it was grateful that the embassy staff's safety had been ensured.
The BBC's correspondent in the region, Jon Leyne, says Syria has used the incident to argue that it is the victim of terrorism.
An editorial in a government-owned paper said Syria's success in confronting terrorism showed that the world could prevail over terrorism if there was a sincere will.
Our correspondent says it is a lecture unlikely to go down well in US government circles.
Syrian media said all the four attackers were Syrians.
Syria's ambassador to the US, Imad Moustapha, said it was logical that the Soldiers of Damascus were behind the attack as the group had already been involved in several previous confrontations with the Syrian government.
Witnesses on Tuesday said that after an initial exchange of fire, two of the attackers had sought refuge in a nearby building but were pursued and gunned down by security forces.
Grenades were reportedly thrown at the embassy's wall.
The fourth attacker was shot and injured as he fled an explosives-laden truck that failed to detonate.
Tension has been high between Washington and Damascus, with bitterness in Syria over US support for Israeli military action in Lebanon.
The US accuses Syria of supporting the insurgency in Iraq and not doing enough to prevent weapons going to Hezbollah militants in Lebanon.