Languages
Page last updated at 04:52 GMT, Wednesday, 3 March 2010

Newly-weds spend honeymoon night in prison

Hands of newly wed couple
The newly-weds' first night was perhaps not as they had planned it

A US couple has spent the first night of married life in separate prison cells after the bride attacked the groom's former lover after the wedding.

The Massachusetts bride is alleged to have tried to run over the woman and her son, the Cape Cod Times reports.

Marissa Ann Putignano-Keene, 22, was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon - her car.

No-one was injured in the incident which happened in a car park in the Cape Cod village of Barnstable.

According to the newspaper, the woman, who told police she had been previously been in an intimate relationship with the groom, was leaving work and taking a shortcut through the car park when the newly-wed couple drove by.

She told police that Mrs Putignano-Keene wound down the car window and began shouting lewd insults before revving the engine and allegedly driving towards her.

The groom, 37-year-old Timothy Keene - who was in the car's passenger seat - was charged with disorderly conduct and taken into protective custody along with his new wife.

Mrs Putignano-Keene was also charged with damage to property, after her car hit a fence during the incident.

The pair are reported to have told police that they split a bottle of champagne between them after their wedding ceremony at Barnstable Town Hall.

They were released together on Tuesday, having spent the night in individual cells at Barnstable police station.



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific