BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Sunday, 1 May, 2005, 17:09 GMT 18:09 UK
Apology call to US runaway bride
Jennifer Wilbanks at Albuquerque airport
Jennifer Wilbanks leaves Albuquerque airport for Atlanta
A US woman who fabricated an abduction after getting cold feet over her wedding is back with her family - but has not impressed rescue workers.

Jennifer Wilbanks fled last Tuesday before her weekend wedding in Duluth, Georgia, and took a bus to New Mexico.

The 32-year-old nurse called from Albuquerque saying she had been kidnapped but police later said she had been scared, broke and confused.

Some Duluth residents said she owed an apology to those who tried to find her.

One resident, Jo Cripps, told Associated Press: "There should be some responsibility for all this expense to the police. Certainly she owes an apology to all the people who came out and volunteered."

Jennifer has some issues the family was not aware of
Mike Satterfield, uncle

Another, Louise McCoy, said: "I'm glad that she's alive and okay, but it was a dirty trick."

Local district attorney, Danny Porter, said it was too early to talk of charging Ms Wilbanks, but said: "If we learn that this was a premeditated act, that would push me closer to pressing charges."

Some volunteers had crawled through sewers and tracked through woods in an attempt to find Ms Wilbanks. Posters had been put up and some yellow ribbons tied to posts.

'Atlanta couple'

Ms Wilbanks had been last seen by her husband-to-be, John Mason, on Tuesday, as she left home to go jogging in Duluth, a suburb of Atlanta.

She was to be married on Saturday at a lavish ceremony with 600 guests.

Jennifer Wilbanks
Ms Wilbanks was to have been married at a lavish ceremony

More than 100 police officers and hundreds of volunteers - including prospective wedding guests - joined the search for her.

But Ms Wilbanks had taken a bus to Las Vegas and then on to New Mexico.

On Friday she called the police emergency line and Mr Mason saying she had been kidnapped and later released by an armed Atlanta couple in their 40s.

When police picked her up she admitted the hoax.

Albuquerque police chief, Ray Schultz, told AP she was "scared and concerned about her impending marriage and decided she needed some time alone".

"She's obviously very concerned about the stress that she's been through, the stress that's been placed on her family," Mr Schultz said.

Police escorted Ms Wilbanks back to Atlanta on Saturday. Her head was covered with a towel to avoid media attention.

Her uncle, Mike Satterfield, thanked all those who tried to help, adding: "Jennifer has some issues the family was not aware of."

The reverend due to perform the marriage said the fiance, Mr Mason, was an "incredible man" who showed no animosity towards Ms Wilbanks.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


News Front Page | World | UK | England | Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales | Politics
Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health | Education
Have Your Say | Magazine | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific