Tuesday, November 16, 1999 Published at 02:23 GMT
DR Congo repeats ceasefire charges
The government in the Democratic Republic of Congo has renewed its accusations that rebels are violating the ceasefire they signed three months ago.
In a statement broadcast on state television, the commander of north-western Equateur Province Brigadier-General Jean-Gerard Mabila said rebels last week attacked government forces at several centres Esanzani, Oso Arama and Lekete.
He accused the United Nations of failing to condemn what he said were repeated ceasefire violations by the rebels, who control most of the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The rebels say the Kinshasa authorities have launched a military offensive against them.
Kinshasa says this is untrue and that it is sticking to the Lusaka peace accords. The accords were signed by President Kabila and five other heads of state involved in the Congo war in July, and by the rebels at the end of August.
From the newsroom of the BBC World Service