BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC News in video and audio
Languages
Last Updated: Tuesday, 22 August 2006, 12:32 GMT 13:32 UK
Port terror arrest pair released
Holyhead
Police had said there was no threat to any port passengers
Two terror suspects questioned for more than a week after being arrested at Holyhead port under anti-terror laws have been released without charge.

The pair, a 47-year-old man and woman, 44, both originally from Algeria, were held in north Wales on 11 August.

It is believed the man was held by Special Branch officers after arriving on a ferry from the Irish Republic, and the woman had gone to meet him.

North Wales Police said it could not comment on the matter.

The force said the decision to release the pair had been made in consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service "after careful consideration of existing evidence".

Detectives had until 1400 BST on Tuesday to charge the pair or to release them.

Following the man and woman's arrest, a district judge had given officers a further five days to question them.

North Wales Police deputy chief constable Clive Wolfendale had said the pair were in possession of "several items" but did not give further details.

He added that it did not appear the pair had any links to Wales and he also said the arrests were not directly linked to the alleged foiled bomb plot to blow up passenger planes.




VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
"They have been released from custody and are free to go"



SEE ALSO

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific