BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh

 You are in:  UK: Wales
Front Page 
Northern Ireland 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

Wednesday, 10 April, 2002, 15:05 GMT 16:05 UK
Fatal blast site examination complete
Corus plant explosion, November 2001
Corus has pledged to rebuild the wrecked furnace
An investigation at a south Wales steel plant has been completed after an explosion killed three workers last year.

The probe, carried out by South Wales Police and the Health and Safety Executive, followed the blast at blast furnace number five within the Corus steelworks in Port Talbot on 8 November 2001.

Liaison officers are continuing to provide support and assistance to the families who were bereaved and casualties of the explosion

South Wales Police spokesman
Victims Andrew Hutin, 20, Stephen Galsworthy, 25, and Len Radford, 53, were all killed in the explosion, and 12 other men were injured.

The joint investigation was a staged process, which involved bringing in independent experts when they were needed.

Several items have been taken away from the remains of the blast furnace for further examinations.

The results of these tests are not expected to be known for several months.

The inquiry has been hampered by molten metal in the blast furnace not cooling down sufficiently to allow experts inside the remains of the structure.

But water was sprayed onto the furnace to cool the contents and allow the probe to continue.

Community rocked

Earlier this year Corus announced that the furnace would be rebuilt at a cost of 75m.

The company plans to have the furnace operating again by January 2003.

Stephen Galsworthy
Stephen Galsworthy died in the explosion
But a police spokesman also revealed that liaison officers were still at work in the community, which was rocked by the explosion.

"Liaison officers are continuing to provide support and assistance to the families who were bereaved and casualties of the explosion."

Last month, firefighters were called to the Port Talbot plant to extinguish a series of small fires.

Corus later said the fires were in an isolated area of the plant, and no one was injured.

The company said an industrial material could have caught fire after it was exposed to the atmosphere.

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories