BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Monday, 1 September, 2003, 15:51 GMT 16:51 UK
Day 12: Key points
Here are the key points and quotes from day 12 of evidence to the Hutton inquiry into the death of Dr David Kelly:

Janice Kelly

  • Dr David Kelly's widow gave evidence via audio link from another room at the Royal Courts of Justice.

    He seemed a bit reluctant to come and watch the news. The main story was that a source had identified itself. Immediately, David said to me, 'It's me' reaction was total dismay. My heart sank"
    Mrs Kelly recalls how she found out he was the source on 8 July

  • She said she married Dr Kelly in 1967 after they met at Leeds University - her late husband went on to do a PhD at Warwick University

  • Dr Kelly started at Porton Down in 1984 and began weapons monitoring in the Soviet Union from about 1987

  • Mrs Kelly said her husband had been a bit of a "workaholic" since doing inspections work in Russia

    He became very much more taciturn. He became more difficult to talk to....he seemed to be under a bit of strain in terms of travelling. He was tired and looking his age. He seemed to have aged quite a bit
    Mrs Kelly on her husband's change of mood in June

  • Mrs Kelly said she was never "quite aware" of who he worked for and he became quite frustrated because his job had fallen into "a hole"

  • Dr Kelly kept his Baha'i faith membership "very privately to himself"

  • His mood in January was "a little tired", but he was looking forward to his daughter's wedding in February. He was thinking of retiring in 2005

    He worried me somewhat one day, one evening, by suddenly getting up from his chair one evening, having been quite withdrawn and worried.... he said he was going to walk to the other end of the village... about half an hour later he came back. He said 'I went for a walk instead to think something through.' I was immediately worried the way he said it. He said it slowly. I immediately thought perhaps he was worrying about me or something. So he said 'no no it is not about you, it is a professional thing'
    Mrs Kelly

  • He was a little worried about his pension, and still had a mortgage to pay, so he was leaving his retirement as late as he could

  • In May he went to the Middle East twice

  • A document found in Dr Kelly's filing cabinet suggested he was part of a New Year's honours trawl for 2004 - it said: "How about David Kelly. Iraq is topical"

  • Mrs Kelly said she did not know what honour it referred to but said "it could well have been a knighthood" because he had already got a CMG in 1996

  • Mrs Kelly said her husband was not good at holidays: "He always had his mobile phone on"

  • Mrs Kelly said she was aware Dr Kelly was meeting Andrew Gilligan in London which was unusual because he did not normally go to meet people there

  • At the end of June, she became aware Dr Kelly had become "very much more taciturn. He became more difficult to talk to....he seemed to be under a bit of strain in terms of travelling. He was tired and looking his age."

    Yes indeed. In fact he had been on a television training course paid for by his employers which required him to give press briefings over quite a long period of time, both formally and informally
    Mrs Kelly, when asked if she knew about his press contacts

  • On Tuesday 8 July "he seemed a bit reluctant to come and watch the news. The main story was that a source had identified itself. Immediately, David said to me, 'It's me' reaction was total dismay. My heart sank"

  • He had mentioned he had had a reprimand from the MoD, but they had not been "unsupportive"

  • Dr Kelly knew from the moment the MoD revealed a source had come forward "the press would soon put two and two together"

  • Sunday Times journalist Nick Rufford called at their house at 1930 BST on 9 July - Mrs Kelly said no journalist had ever turned up before without making an arrangement and she was alarmed about that: She heard Dr Kelly say "please leave now"

  • Dr Kelly told her that Mr Rufford said that Rupert Murdoch (owner of the Sunday Times) had offered hotel accommodation away from the media spotlight in return for an article

  • David was due to be named that night and the press were "on their way in droves". He got the impression from Rufford that the "gloves were off now"... He was extremely upset

    David was ballistic... he just did not like the idea at all... he felt it would be a kind of continuation of a kind of reprimand into the public domain
    Mrs Kelly, recalls her husband's reaction when told his appearance before MPs was to be televised

  • Mrs Kelly said her husband had said several times "he felt totally let down and betrayed"

  • She said Dr Kelly had not known about the press statement until after it had happened. He had been led to believe that it would not be in the public domain

  • He had received assurances from his line manager, from their seniors and from the people he had been interviewed by

  • Mrs Kelly said they left home after a call from the MoD. Dr Kelly tried and failed to contact his line manager Bryan Wells

  • They were both very anxious as they drove to the West Country

  • The next morning at breakfast they read the Times articles about David. One of the articles had a photo of Dr Kelly and a rundown of his career "given I presume by an MoD source, naming him as a middle ranking official"

  • Mrs Kelly said there had seemed to be several references to his lowly status - she said he had been "rather knocked back" by that

    I had a huge headache and felt sick - in fact I was physically sick several times at this stage because he looked so desperate
    Mrs Kelly on her husband's mood on the day he went missing

  • On Friday 11 July they went for a walk during the morning. Dr Kelly took a call from Bryan Wells to say the Foreign Affairs Committee appearance would be televised

  • Dr Kelly "was ballistic... he just did not like the idea at all... he felt it would be a kind of continuation of a kind of reprimand into the public domain"

  • He was less worried about the Intelligence and Security Committee

    We weren't shown a knife, we were shown a photocopy of I presume the knife, which we recognised as a knife he had had for many years and kept in his drawer... from childhood I believe, probably from the Boy Scouts
    Mrs Kelly

  • Mrs Kelly said: "It was just a nightmare. That is all I can describe it as"

  • She said there had not seemed to be anything in the way of support. She had been surprised nobody rang him and offered to talk to him

  • Dr Kelly "was in dismay" because he had "worked his socks off for years"

  • Mrs Kelly said her husband had stayed at his daughter Rachel's house before and after the 15 July appearance before MPs on the Foreign Affairs Committee

  • Mrs Kelly met up with him on the 16 July after he had faced the MPs on the Intelligence and Security Committee when he looked "totally exhausted", but said the appearance had gone "alright"

    I was devastated. He was totally the opposite. He was a very shy and retiring man
    Mrs Kelly on her reaction to Downing Street spokesman describing her husband as a "Walter Mitty" character

  • They then drove home and he went into his study to download e-mails and then went to bed, very tired

  • On 17 July, the day he went missing, he was "tired, subdued, but not depressed"

  • He got on with his work, and was answering a parliamentary question about his media contacts

  • After coffee at elevenses, he went to sit in the lounge by himself, without saying anything, which was quite unusual for him. He looked very tired

  • She had a huge headache. "In fact I was physically sick several times at this stage because he looked so desperate... I just thought he had a broken heart. He had shrunk into himself"

  • She said he could not put two sentences together - he could not talk at all

  • She went to lie down after lunch and he said "I will probably go for my walk"

  • She was aware of Dr Kelly talking on the phone in his study at about 1500 BST. It rang at 1520 BST for her. She was aware he had left by this time

  • Mrs Kelly said later she began to get "rather worried" because it was a family tradition to say where you were going and what time you would be back, if you went for a longer walk, and he had not said that

  • By late afternoon she became concerned. Their daughter Rachel said she would go and meet her father and went up one of the normal footpaths, returning at 1830 BST by which time Mrs Kelly "was in a terrible state... trying not to think awful things"

  • Her other daughter Sian and partner Richard went searching for him. They delayed calling the police because they thought it might make things worse

  • Sian eventually called the police at 2330 BST

  • The police helicopter arrived, and tracker dogs were brought and a police communication mast was set up in their garden in the early hours, and a dog went through the house

  • During Friday morning, the police informed them of David's death

  • They were not shown the knife, but a photocopy of a picture of it, which they recognised as a knife he had for many years and kept in his drawer from childhood, probably from the boy scouts

  • She said she took coproxamol for her arthritis. She kept a small store in a kitchen drawer and the rest in a bedside table

  • Mrs Kelly said Dr Kelly "was totally devoted to his job"

  • She said, contrary to newspaper reports, the couple did not row

  • Mrs Kelly said she was totally devastated by the reference from a Downing Street spokesman to her husband being a "Walter Mitty" character

  • She finished her evidence by thanking Lord Hutton for the "dignified way" he was conducting the Inquiry

  • She asked the press to continue to respect the family's privacy

Sarah Pape, Dr Kelly's sister

  • Ms Pape said that in May 2002, Dr Kelly told her about his long "battle" with his employers over his grading and salary but later said the issues had been resolved and he felt he had achieved something

  • She said: "In many ways my brother is being portrayed as some kind of a mole who was leaking information and I think it is just worth emphasising that it was a very integral part of his job to be briefing the media"

  • Dr Kelly desperately wanted to go back to Iraq to finish the job he had started uncovering the weapons of mass destruction he was convinced were buried in the desert, said Ms Pape

  • Dr Kelly had told her he was "absolutely and utterly convinced" that there was almost certainly no solution to the Iraq crisis "other than a regime change" which was unlikely to happen peacefully, said Ms Pape

Rachel Kelly, the scientist's daughter

  • Ms Kelly said Dr Kelly's diary suggested he had met UK diplomat David Broucher in February 2002, not February this year as Mr Broucher had suggested. It was Mr Broucher who said that Dr Kelly had told him he would probably be found "dead in the woods" if Iraq was invaded

  • She said that from 22 June, when her father returned from New York, he seemed different because "he seemed to really need me as a daughter... There was a need from him on an emotional level to see more of me"

  • The first day she became extremely worried about Dr Kelly was 4 July: "He seemed to be under immense pressure... I did not for one minute imagine he was in the situation he was actually in"

  • Referring to Andrew Gilligan's controversial report, Ms Kelly said: "He felt he (Gilligan) had accumulated this information over time and could not understand how he could make such forcible claims about the conversation they had had"

  • Dr Kelly had appeared "mentally shattered" in the lead-up to his death and was finding it hard to remember conversations from six weeks earlier

  • On 13 July, she saw her father as he returned from Cornwall and he looked distressed, with "a bit of humiliation"

  • Dr Kelly was disappointed he was going alone in front of the parliamentary committees

  • After the Foreign Affairs Committee hearing he was "quite cheerful" but had said one MP had been an "utter bastard" in the way he posed his questions

  • Ms Kelly talked of her family's pride in the dead scientist and hoped people would learn from his death to be more compassionate to those around them

David Wilkins

  • Mr Wilkins, fiance of Rachel Kelly, said Dr Kelly had seemed "tired but not overly agitated" when he returned from Cornwall on 13 July

  • He said: "He (Dr Kelly) did not really relish the glare of publicity, he was a very private person."

  • Dr Kelly was "very withdrawn" after the Foreign Affairs Committee hearing. He said his colleagues were being "tremendously supportive, but I did get the impression it was not all colleagues"

Roger Avery, close friend of Dr Kelly

  • Professor Avery said he had spoken to Dr Kelly by phone a week before he died because reporters were trying to reach him. He said Dr Kelly was concerned "about making ends meet after retirement", said Prof Avery.

The BBC's John Pienaar
"Mrs Kelly has asked to give evidence via a videophone"

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


News Front Page | World | UK | England | Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales | Politics
Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health | Education
Have Your Say | Magazine | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific