Page last updated at 17:10 GMT, Monday, 20 October 2008 18:10 UK

Terror suspect 'caught on CCTV'

Car boot with contents
One of the car bombs had 100 litres of petrol in the boot, the jury is told

A terror suspect was caught on CCTV leaving a car bomb near a London nightclub, a court has heard.

Dr Bilal Abdulla, 29, from Paisley, was filmed parking a Mercedes outside the Tiger Tiger club in Haymarket, a jury at Woolwich Crown Court was told.

Police later found it packed with gas cylinders, 900 nails, 100 litres of petrol and mobile phone detonators.

Dr Abdulla and Mohammed Asha, 27, from Newcastle-under-Lyme, deny conspiracy to murder and to cause explosions.

The jury was told that Dr Abdulla was caught on CCTV as he parked one of two Mercedes car bombs outside Tiger Tiger on 29 June last year before running off.

Fifteen calls were later made to mobile phone detonators in a bid to trigger the devices, the court heard.

However, they failed to explode because of a lack of oxygen.


Dr Abdulla's DNA was found on a bloodstain on the dashboard, the cap of a petrol container and a gas cylinder, prosecutors said.

Bilal Abdulla and Mohammed Asha
Dr Abdulla and Dr Asha were both NHS employees

Kafeel Ahmed, 28, drove the second Mercedes parked outside the club and died from fatal injuries suffered in a suicide attack on Glasgow Airport the next day.

Dr Abdulla claims he was not trying to kill anyone in London or Glasgow and only intended to damage property. Dr Asha denies providing money and advice behind the scenes.

Data on the unregistered pay-as-you-go Nokia phones left in each car revealed they had been dialled up to four times each, the court heard.

Police revealed the ringing circuit in each was wired to a light bulb, held in a syringe and surrounded by match heads, intended to ignite the volatile vapours swirling inside the cars.

Car interior with gas cylinder and nails
Police found nails and gas cylinders in the cars, the court hears

Jurors were shown detailed pictures of the car bombs, which revealed how patio gas cylinders had been left in each rear passenger footwell.

Prosecutor Mark Heywood said two mobile phone detonators had been left in each vehicle.

About 900 two-inch nails were left in bags tucked into seats or scattered inside of each, with 100 litres of petrol packed into the boot of one.

The equipment was covered with two duvets and other items including umbrellas, a lampshade and a hi-fi, the jury was told.

The trial continues.

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific