BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Tuesday, 20 February 2007, 14:08 GMT
Jury sees 21 July 'burka escape'
CCTV image said to be Yassin Omar in a burka at Digbeth bus station
Mr Omar is said to have travelled to Birmingham after the attacks

CCTV images of one of the 21 July bomb suspects apparently fleeing London in a Muslim veil have been shown in court.

The jury at Woolwich Crown Court saw footage of Yassin Omar, 26, wearing a black full-length dress and burka with a handbag over his arm.

He is said to have travelled by bus to Birmingham from Golders Green in north London on 22 July 2005 - the day after an alleged attempt to bomb the Tube.

Mr Omar and six other defendants deny charges of conspiracy to murder.

The footage shows Mr Omar mingling with ordinary commuters at Digbeth coach station in Birmingham on his arrival.

The prosecution said he waited at the site before being picked up by a car.

The jury has also heard he was captured on CCTV wearing the burka at Golders Green coach station earlier in the day.

In court, the suspect's lawyers agreed that the footage showed their client.

Mr Omar, Hussein Osman, Ramzi Mohammed, Adel Yahya, Muktar Ibrahim and Manfo Asiedu deny conspiracy to cause explosions and conspiracy to murder.

Conversation disputed

Mr Omar's arrest at a house in Heybarnes Road in Birmingham came six days after the alleged extremist Muslim plot to commit suicide bombings.

Muktar Ibrahim, 29, from Stoke Newington, north London
Ramzi Mohammed, 25, from North Kensington, west London
Yassin Omar, 26, from New Southgate, north London
Hussein Osman, 28, of no fixed address
Manfo Asiedu, 33, of no fixed address
Adel Yahya, 24, of High Road, Tottenham, north London

The court heard Mr Omar - who allegedly tried to detonate a bomb on a train at Warren Street station - later admitted to police he was on the Tube at the time.

He told them he had not intended to hurt anyone on 21 July.

The prosecution had earlier claimed that Mr Omar's one-bedroom flat in New Southgate, north London, was where the home-made devices were manufactured.

Detective Constable Dave Hillier, who accompanied Mr Omar back to London for questioning, told the court he had said: "I was on the Tube at the time of the explosions. I did not know it was going to go off...

"I did not make the explosives. I was told to collect it."

In cross examination, defence counsel Mr Peter Carter QC suggested DC Hillier had wrongly attributed certain comments to Mr Omar.

According to Mr Carter, the defendant had said: "I knew it was going to go off and I didn't want to hurt anyone."

But DC Hillier stood by his notes.

The trial continues.

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific