BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Saturday, 23 July, 2005, 16:07 GMT 17:07 UK
Hundreds mourn bus bombing victim
Anthony Fatayi-Williams with a friend
Mr Fatayi-Williams was one of 13 people who died in the bus blast
Hundreds of people have attended the funeral of a 26-year-old man killed during the suicide bombings in London.

Anthony Fatayi-Williams, an oil executive from Hendon, north-west London, was on the number 30 bus which exploded in Tavistock Square on 7 July.

His funeral was held at Westminster Cathedral, in central London, on Saturday afternoon.

His Catholic mother, Marie, and Muslim father, Alan, led the mourners with his two sisters Loretta, 16, and Aisha, 13.

'Tears and sadness'

The family travelled from Nigeria to join Mrs Fatayi-Williams, who came to the UK shortly after the bombings.

She was praised during the service for an emotional speech she gave in the days after the explosions in which she said her heart had been "maimed".

Speaking at the scene of the bus bombing, she said: "Terrorism is not the way, terrorism is not the way. It doesn't beget peace.

"We can't deliver peace by terrorism, never can we deliver peace by killing people. Hatred begets only hatred. We must all stand together, for...our common humanity."

 Marie Fatayi-Williams

Mr Fatayi-Williams' uncle, Tom Ikimi, paid tribute to his nephew during the two-hour funeral mass, calling him a "world citizen".

Mr Ikimi, a former foreign affairs minister in Nigeria, added: "[Anthony] broke the boundaries of race and broke the boundaries of religion and was looking at a great life ahead.

"But all of his hopes and aspirations were truncated by the events of 7/7."

Mr Ikimi's son, also called Tom, was one of many to give personal tributes during the two-hour funeral mass.

He told the congregation: "Tears and sadness don't do anything for Anthony at this point.

"Only with joy and happiness should he be remembered."

Plans changed

Mr Fatayi-Williams, who worked for oil firm Amec, was last seen by a friend at Camden Tube station as he made his way to work in Old Street.

He had been planning to travel to King's Cross but had been forced to change his plans amid the chaos caused by the first three Tube explosions.

The last anyone heard from him was when he phoned work moments before he died to say he was going to be late.

At Saturday's service, his parents launched the Anthony Fatayi-Williams Foundation for Peace and Conflict Resolution in his memory.

His father said: "We, Anthony's parents, have resolved to lend ourselves and our voice to finding peaceful ways to overcome violence and terror.

"Anthony was a peace-loving person, and his values we will strive to immortalise."

The foundation will have bases in London and Nigeria.

An inquest into Mr Fatayi-Williams' death was opened and adjourned last week at St Pancras Coroner's Court in central London. He was identified by dental records.

His funeral service was conducted by Bishop Alan Hopes, an auxiliary bishop of Westminster.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


News Front Page | World | UK | England | Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales | Politics
Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health | Education
Have Your Say | Magazine | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific