BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh

 You are in: UK
Front Page 
Northern Ireland 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

Monday, 16 July, 2001, 02:57 GMT 03:57 UK
Appeal for witnesses to police shooting
Police cordon in Wavertree, Liverpool
The incident happened in the Wavertree area of Liverpool
The Police Complaints Authority is appealing for witnesses to the fatal shooting of a mentally ill man by armed officers.

Andrew Kernan, 37, was shot twice in the chest while brandishing a Samurai sword near his home in the Wavertree area of Liverpool last Thursday.

His family are angry that police did not manage to subdue him without opening fire and the Home Secretary David Blunkett is said to be concerned by the incident. The PCA said it believed there were a number of vehicles in the area at the time Mr Kernan was shot.

These include a bus with several passengers on board, seen at nearby the junction of Picton Road and Wellington Road.

Family concerns

The incident was voluntarily referred to the PCA by Merseyside Police.

Greater Manchester Police are to undertake the investigation, which is hoped will be completed in four months, under the guidance of Detective Superintendent David Crompton.

PCA member Molly Meacher, who is supervising the investigation, met Mr Kernan's family on Sunday to discuss the procedures.

Ms Meacher said: "His mum was extraordinarily resilient. She's very, very angry.

"But we had a very friendly and important meeting. The family were able to talk about exactly what their concerns are."


She added that Mr Kernan's family had asked for a second pathologist to examine the details of his post mortem examination, which was held on Saturday.

Police were called to Mr Kernan's home in Wellington Grove after his family and psychiatric workers became concerned that he was extremely emotional.

It was reported that six officers spent 25 minutes negotiating with Mr Kernan inside his home before he grabbed a sword and left the flat.

He was shot twice in the chest by armed officers around 2210BST as he wielded the sword outside The Wellington pub, after a failed attempt to subdue him with CS gas.

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories