Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, July 6, 1998 Published at 22:11 GMT 23:11 UK


UK

Review for jailed soldiers

The scene of the shooting in north Belfast

The Northern Ireland Secretary Mo Mowlam is to launch a further review of the cases of two Scots Guardsmen who were jailed for life for shooting a young man in Belfast.

James Fisher, 27, and Mark Wright, 22, were convicted of murdering 19-year-old Peter McBride in the street in 1992. Mr McBride was shot after he ran away from the soldiers, who had stopped him for routine questioning.


[ image: James Fisher, jailed for the Belfast shooting]
James Fisher, jailed for the Belfast shooting
A campaign to free the pair launched last year has recently been stepped up since the controversial release of IRA killers to take part in the peace process referendum. Supporters say the guardsmen did not commit a premeditated killing.

Junior Ulster Minister Lord Dubs told the Lords in a debate on the Northern Ireland (Sentences) Bill that Ms Mowlam was reviewing the cases "in the light of correspondence she has received from the guardsmen's solicitors."

Ms Mowlam said in a statement: "I have received papers on the case and will be considering those papers during the next few weeks.

"The papers which have to be considered are extensive. They include those of the court, previous advice from the Life Sentence Review Board, my own previous decisions and the various judicial review judgements. They must be given full and detailed consideration.

The campaign won't be ignored


[ image: Regimental colleagues have supported the jailed pair]
Regimental colleagues have supported the jailed pair
"I will also take account of the many representations I have received regarding the case."

She added: "I cannot prejudge any decisions which I may make as a consequence of this further review, but when a decision has been made I will make it known."

The Court of Appeal dismissed pleas by the men against conviction and sentence in December 1995 and they were refused leave to appeal to the House of Lords in March 1996.

Their cases are scheduled to be considered by the Life Sentence Review Board in October this year.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England
Relevant Stories

30 May 98 | UK
Freedom demanded for jailed guardsmen

22 Feb 98 | UK
MP backs campaign to free guardsmen





Internet Links

The British Army

The Northern Ireland Office


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online