Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: FA Cup
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

The BBC's John Murray
"Everton - the only Premiership club through to the last eight so far"
 real 28k

Saturday, 29 January, 2000, 19:39 GMT
Toffees made to battle

Rankine unsettles Hutchison on a nervy afternoon at Goodison

Everton 2-0 Preston

Preston prevented Everton from scoring for an hour at Goodison Park, and the second division side wasted plenty of chances of their own.

The win came courtesy of David Unsworth's glorious looping free kick on 64 minutes and an injury time goal from US international striker Joe-Max Moore.

It ended a brave effort from the second division club, who were unlucky not to achieve a Deepdale replay at least.

Gough at full strength against Gunlaugsson
Preston scared the life out of Everton, without taking a single one of the chances that came their way.

Everton gratefully grabbed theirs in a match when they could easily have been embarrassed.

The result completed a good week for the home side, which has seen Bill Kenwright complete his takeover and manager Walter Smith sign a new contract.

The hosts' early chances were few, but Francis Jeffers had one shot cleared off the line by Michael Jackson in the 15th minute.

At times it was hard to tell who was the Premiership team, and it was only in the last 10 minutes, when we threw caution to the wind to try to grab an equaliser, that Everton created anything.
Preston boss David Moyes
At the other end Jon Macken's fine run past Michael Ball ended with a cross that Mike Appleton headed inches over.

Former Manchester United youngster Macken also fired over a left footed shot that Thomas Myhre struggled to hold after a flowing six-man move.

As Everton became increasingly unsettled Richard Gough almost presented Icelander Bjarki Gunnlaugsson with a goal after a backheader put the striker clear.

Kevin Campbell reflects on one missed chance
David Weir got in a brave saving tackle, but when Appleton fired the ball back in in, Gunnlaugsson failed to connect just six yards out.

Preston's confidence and refusal to be overawed was just as evident after the break.

Macken twice had headers saved by Myhre, but Everton began to get into the game with Jeffers somehow sidefooting wide from 10 yards after Nicky Barmby's break down the right.

And on 64 minutes, Don Hutchison went down on the edge of the box under a challenge by Rob Edwards.

If they keep playing like that they will go up, and I really hope they do. For long spells there was not a big difference between the teams
Walter Smith
Preston's players claimed he had dived but Unsworth stepped up to send a swerving left footed freekick crashing past keeper Teuvo Moilanen.

The visitors were soon back at Everton's throats with the home fans a collective bundle of nerves right to the end.

And it was only when Preston's legs began to tire that Everton sealed their victory to immense relief.

Barmby forced his way through, Campbell had a shot charged down and substitute Moore struck from close range in the second minute of injury time.


Myhre, Ball, Gough, Unsworth, Weir, Dunne, Pembridge, Hutchison, Barmby, Campbell, Jeffers. Subs: Watson, Gemmill, Cadamarteri, Moore, Simonsen.

Preston: Moilanen, Edwards, Jackson, Murdock, Alexander, Eyres, Gregan, Rankine, Appleton, Macken, Gunnlaugsson. Subs: Lucas, Kidd, Basham, Cartwright, McKenna.

Referee: M Riley (Leeds)

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console

See also:
29 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Tranmere on target for Wembley double
29 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Hunt caps Charlton comeback
29 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Owls' misery continues
29 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Bolton hold their nerve
29 Jan 00 |  Football
Guttering leaves Celtic red-faced
08 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Birmingham pay the penalty
Links to other FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.