Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education

Front Page



UK Politics







Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Low Graphics

Saturday, May 22, 1999 Published at 17:48 GMT 18:48 UK

Double joy for Man United

Paul Scholes made the game safe with his goal

Manchester United 2-0 Newcastle United

Manchester United dominated Newcastle United to take the FA Cup and secure their third league and cup double in the 1990s.

The BBC's Alan Green: "It was game over for Newcastle"
Goals from substitute Teddy Sheringham in the first half and Paul Scholes in the second period allowed Alex Ferguson's men the luxury of being able to play exhibition football in the second half.

The league champions can now concentrate on the task of winning the European Cup on Wednesday and accomplishing a unique treble.

The victory means their 10th FA Cup triumph, a record in English football.

There was only disappointment for Alan Shearer and Newcastle, who did not perform on the day.


[ image: Roy Keane picks up his injury from a Gary Speed challenge]
Roy Keane picks up his injury from a Gary Speed challenge
The first significant action saw Roy Keane receive his injury after a tackle from a legitimate challenge by Gary Speed.

Newcastle started much brighter, and with just three minutes gone, Norberto Solano received Shearer's nod down and hit and his volley hard and true, with Peter Schmeichel holding on at the second attempt.

Newcastle made some strong early tackles and Dietmar Hamann was booked for a late challenge on Phillip Neville.

But Keane's injury was too serious for the United captain to continue, and he was replaced by Sheringham.

And it was the former Spurs player who gave his side the lead, playing a delightful one-two with Paul Scholes before slotting the ball home past Steve Harper.

It was the 250th goal of the England international's club career.


Sheringham's introduction meant that David Beckham went into central midfield, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer moved to the right side.

The goal clearly unsettled Ruud Gullit's men, coming as it did against the run of play.

A Solano free-kick whistled over the top of Schmeichel's goal, but Manchester United's confidence was high, and Sheringham could have had a second, getting on to Beckham's free-kick but glancing his header wide.

Despite Newcastle having plenty of possession, they looked shockingly vulnerable to their opponents' attacking play.

A Gary Neville cross saw Sheringham's flick evade Solskjaer, and then Andy Cole's weak lob was kicked off the line by Laurent Charvet.

Newcastle hit back with some fine play from Temuri Ketsbaia and then Hamann, whose shot was well saved by Schmeichel at his near post.


But the threat from United remained potent, with Neville supplying another cross from the right for Sheringham, and his header was a foot wide of Harper's near.

After the half-time break, Hamann was replaced by Duncan Ferguson.

Ferguson's arrival gave Newcastle the aerial threat they needed.

[ image: Paul Scholes scored a terrific second]
Paul Scholes scored a terrific second
But Newcastle's problem remained in defence, and a mistake by Nikos Dabizas allowed Solskjaer to advance to the penalty area, and his pass to Sheringham was laid into the path of Scholes who hammered in the second.


Newcastle's luck was not in, as was evidenced a minute after the goal when Ketsbaia's shot hit the post with Schmeichel stranded.

On the hour, Dwight Yorke came on to replace the disappointing Cole.

And the top scorer for Manchester United should have scored from Giggs's perfect cross, but his header drifted over the top.

Scholes could have a second, after a near 20 pass move ended with his shot being deflected past Harper's post.

From the resulting corner, Giggs hit a right-footed volley a yard wide.

It was all Manchester United at this stage, with Solskjaer scuffing his shot into the hands of Harper.

Newcastle made another change, with Silvio Maric replacing Solano.


Ronny Johnsen, who had kept Shearer quiet for much of the game, headed over the bar from Beckham's corner.

[ image: Teddy Sheringham: Most people's man of the match]
Teddy Sheringham: Most people's man of the match
With under 15 minutes remaining, Scholes was replaced by Jaap Stam, proving that the Dutchman will be fit for the European Cup final on Wednesday.

Sheringham came very close to his second when his lob over Harper bounced over the top of the Newcastle crossbar.

Maric summed up Newcastle's day when he failed to hit the target from 10 yards in what was his side's best chance of the day, after good work from Ferguson.

The game was as good as over with 10 minutes remaining, as much because of Manchester United's excellence as Newcastle's defensive ineptitude.

A shot from Andy Griffin forced Schmeichel into a last minute save, but a Newcastle goal would have flattered them on this afternoon which belonged to Manchester United and their great side.

Advanced options | Search tips

Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©

Relevant Stories

21 May 99 | FA Cup
The Road to Wembley

22 May 99 | UK
Newcastle arrests follow FA Cup match

22 May 99 | FA Cup
Delight for Fergie

22 May 99 | Football
Treble beckons for the Reds

20 May 99 | FA Cup
Manchester United player profiles

20 May 99 | FA Cup
Newcastle United player profiles