Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: FA Carling Premiership
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

The BBC's Stuart Hall
"Hughes scored his first goal for the club"
 real 28k

Saturday, 1 April, 2000, 16:26 GMT 17:26 UK
Moore's double as Hughes stars

Everton 4-2 Watford

Everton's two Hughes - Mark and Stephen - scored their first goals for the club, sandwiching Joe-Max Moore's double.

Allan Smart and Micah Hyde scored to give the Hornets hope of a point.

Veteran Mark Hughes scored the opener, a first goal since his move from Southampton.

Moore added the second after half an hour before two goals in two minutes before half-time.

Smart pulled it back to 2-1 before the American striker restored Chelsea's advantage.

Hyde again gave Watford late hope until Stephen Hughes struck four minutes from time.

Sparky the star

But it was veteran Mark Hughes who starred, helping create both of Moore's goals after scoring himself.

The 36-year-old Wales manager's opener brought to life a first half of numbing boredom.

Welsh midfielder Mark Pembridge, having seen a corner cleared, eventually got the ball back and crossed from the left.

Hie international manager headed home at the near post.

After 31 minutes "Sparky" Hughes played a major part in Everton's second.

He bustled his way into possession in midfield and sent Nicky Barmby racing away down the right with an excellent pass.

Barmby lifted his cross into the area and the diminutive Moore got above the Watford defence to nod a header down that trundled in off the post.

Watford pulled one back after another five minutes as Tommy Smith's clever through-ball sent Smart away from Everton's veteran defence.

He ran into the box before slipping his low shot under the advancing Paul Gerrard.

Poor defending

But Watford's incompetence at the back let them down just 60 seconds later.

Hughes was in acres of space on the right, and drilled a cross in the six yard box that was met by Moore.

In the second half Pembridge's 20-yard shot was deflected for a corner.

Neil Cox had to head out from under his own bar from Barmby's corner, and Hughes then saw a snap header from 12 yards saved by Chamberlain.

Everton became very casual at the back towards the end and when Hyde lashed home a low 30-yard drive with 10 minutes to go, a shock comeback was on the cards.

But Everton pulled themselves together and regained control with four minutes left.

Barmby's persistence allowed Stephen Hughes to also score his first goal for the club with a fierce strike from 12 yards out.


Everton: Gerrard, Ball, Gough, Dunne, Xavier, Pembridge, S. Hughes, Collins, Barmby, Moore, M. Hughes. Subs: Unsworth, Hutchison, Jevons, Simonsen, Milligan.

Watford: Chamberlain, Robinson, Williams, Palmer, Cox, Easton, R. Johnson, Hyde, Smith, Wooter, Smart. Subs: Day, Ward, Bonnot, Perpetuini, Miller.

Referee: S Dunn (Bristol)

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
See also:

01 Apr 00 | FA Carling Premiership
Ten-man Gunners survive again
01 Apr 00 | FA Carling Premiership
Phillips on spot again
01 Apr 00 | FA Carling Premiership
Bantams fail to frustrate Magpies
01 Apr 00 | FA Carling Premiership
Scholes inspires rout of Hammers
01 Apr 00 | FA Carling Premiership
Harley scores as Leeds crash
01 Apr 00 | FA Carling Premiership
Reds hitmen on target
Links to other FA Carling Premiership stories are at the foot of the page.