Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education

Front Page



UK Politics







Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Low Graphics

Thursday, September 23, 1999 Published at 09:02 GMT 10:02 UK

Sport: Football

Everton slain by Oxford

Joey Beauchamp scored Oxford's winner (here in action against Charlton)

Oxford have claimed the first giantkilling of the Worthington Cup to send Everton crashing out of the competition at Goodison Park.

The financially struggling second division side clung onto a 1-0 lead, courtesy of a Joey Beauchamp strike, to take the tie 2-1 on aggregate. The first leg was a 1-1 draw.

Everton had gambled by fielding what were effectively second-string players and it emphatically failed to pay off as Oxford poached the lead and defended like madmen for the rest of the match.

Coventry also tumbled out 6-4 on aggregate to Tranmere, after a 5-1 first leg drubbing. And Blackburn comfortably progressed to the next round with a 3-1 win over Portsmouth to add to their 3-0 first leg victory.

Bristol City 0-0 Nottingham Forest (1-2 on agg)

Forest edged through to the third round despite losing goalkeeper Mark Crossley to a first-half ankle injury.

Crossley was hurt when he was forced to back pedal to tip over a cross from Greg Goodridge.

Replacement Dave Beasant saved well from Steve Jones while Marlon Harewood should have put the result beyond doubt at the other end.

But he fluffed a header and also missed a close-range volley.

Leicester 4-2 Crystal Palace (7-5 on agg)

Two excellent strikes from youngster Stefan Oakes eased a troubled Foxes side into round three of the Cup.

[ image: Emile Heskey (left) shrugs off Palace's Fan Zhiyi]
Emile Heskey (left) shrugs off Palace's Fan Zhiyi
A goal from Leicester's Graham Fenton put his side 3-1 up with 10 minutes left to play before Lee Bradbury's effort kept the Eagles in contention.

It was then that young Oakes struck to restore the home side's advantage.

But despite the victory, Foxes fans continued their protest to oust chief executive Barrie Pierpoint.

Coventry 3-1 Tranmere (6-4 on agg)

Tranmere clung on to claim a place in the third round and send Coventry out.

Gary McAllister's 30-yard blockbuster put the Sky Blues ahead on 21 minutes but Scott Taylor headed in unmarked from close range a minute later.

Another long-range drive from Youssef Chippo renewed the home side's hope and the Moroccan pocked in a third from a Carlton Palmer cross before half-time.

Rovers defended deep in the second half with John Achterberg saving superbly.

Derby 3-1 Swansea (3-1 on agg)

Derby eased to victory to wipe away memories of a disappointing first leg.

Esteban Fuertes put the Rams ahead, firing into an empty net after Rory Delap had rounded Roger Freestone.

The Argentinian squared to Dean Sturridge to make it 2-0 and Vas Borbokis' volley into the top corner made it safe with 15 minutes remaining.

Swansea captain Matthew Bound's penalty three minutes from time was no more than a consolation for the Welshmen.

Everton 0-1 Oxford (1-2 on agg)

Joey Beauchamp sent Everton crashing out of the Cup at Goodison.

Beauchamp fired home from 12 yards in the 12th minute after Matt Murphy's knock down, having hit the crossbar moments earlier.

Everton had just two of the side that beat West Ham on Sunday _ Phil Jevons and Peter Degn making full debuts.

Kevin Campbell and Francis Jeffers replaced them after the break, but to no avail.

Blackburn 3-1 Portsmouth (6-1 on agg)

Rovers went to town on first division rivals Portsmouth and despite conceding an early goal still managed to notch up another a three goal win.

Damien Duff initially equalised after connecting at the far post with a superb Egil Ostenstad cross.

A poor clearance from Pompey's Michalis Vlachos allowed teenager David Dunn to convert from the edge of the box.

Finally Kevin Gallagher sank Pompey by stabbing home a Nathan Blake cross.

Reading 3-3 Bradford (4-4 on agg)

Bradford twice came from a goal behind at managerless Reading to go through on the away goals rule.

[ image: Dean Saunders: An important away goal]
Dean Saunders: An important away goal
Dean Saunders cancelled out Keith Scott's ninth minute opener to take the tie into extra-time.

And although Barry Hunter put the hosts back in front, former Leeds defender David Wetherall was on hand to deny them a famous cup win.

His equaliser (108) gave the Bantams the crucial second away goal.

Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 Stoke (3-1 on agg)

Danny Wilson finally saw his side win a game but the fans stayed away in droves with only around 11,000 at Hillsborough to witness the Owls' victory.

Niclas Alexandersson grabbed two goals, his first after just five minutes from a cross by Lee Briscoe.

The full-back also supplied the second, feeding Gilles de Bilde who netted with a 15-yard volley into the corner.

Alexandersson poached another before a consolation from Graham Kavanagh.

Advanced options | Search tips

Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©

Football Contents


Relevant Stories

21 Sep 99 | Football
Saints' relief after dismissal

In this section

Collins calls it a day for Scots

Derby double swoop fails

From Special Report
Keegan accused over late night

White Rose rivals meet again

McIlroy tipped for NI role

League to rule on Sky shares

Keane talks to resume

From Special Report
We'll be back for World Cup - Brown

From Special Report
Keegan insists England can triumph

Irish to appeal after brawl

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

From Special Report
I've rarely seen anything worse

From Special Report
An almost unbelievable turnaround

SA kidnap shocks soccer coach

From Special Report
Police claim play-off success

From Special Report
England book Euro 2000 place

From Special Report
We've a long way to go - Keegan

Turks bury Irish dream

From Special Report
We deserved to qualify - Hendry

Slovenia to make Euro debut

From Special Report
England v Scotland - picture gallery

From Special Report
What they said