Monday, April 26, 1999 Published at 17:02 GMT 18:02 UK
We won't go back, warn ACB
Steve Waugh: "It's just pure luck that someone didn't get hit on the head"
The Australian Cricket Board has announced that future Test and limited-overs tours to the West Indies have been thrown into doubt, following Sunday's crowd-affected match in Barbados.
One flying bottle missed Australian captain Steve Waugh's head by inches in the second example of crowd unrest in the West Indies in five days.
Last Wednesday, a chaotic invasion of the Bourda ground in Georgetown, Guyana, ruined the result of the fifth one-dayer and attracted widespread condemnation.
ACB spokesman Michael Hogan said Monday the board considered the events of last week and Sunday as "totally unacceptable."
"We won't be going back to Guyana unless things change," Hogan said.
"Barbados isn't quite the same situation, as Malcolm (Speed) says the Bajans are very enthusiastic and easy-going cricket lovers.
"(The) events seem to be outside of the normal behavioural patterns in Barbados."
'We could been killed'
Australian captain, Steve Waugh, has hit out over the crowd disturbance, by claiming: "It is only a matter of time before someone gets killed."
Play resumed after a meeting between International Cricket Council match referee Raman Subba Row, the Australian and West Indies team managements and local officials, at which it was decided to reinstate Campbell, who was run out after colliding with bowler Brendon Julian in mid-pitch.
Waugh said: "The option was to recall Sherwin and get the game going or not to have a game at all.
"We didn't have any guarantees for our safety if the game was called off.
"It's just pure luck that someone didn't get hit on the head," he said.
'It will happen'
That match was declared a tie by Subba Row, so that West Indies' win on Sunday meant the series ended with the teams all square at 3-3.
"Once again, we go back to saying it's only a matter of time before somebody gets killed," Waugh said. "It's right, it will happen."