Page last updated at 12:26 GMT, Wednesday, 26 November 2008

Man admits stabbing sons to death

Paul and Jay Ross
The bodies of Paul and Jay Ross were found in a car in East Dunbartonshire

A man has pled guilty to the brutal murder of his two young sons, whose bodies were found in a car in East Dunbartonshire.

Ashok Kalyanjee, 46, picked up Paul Ross, six, and Jay, two, at their home in Royston, Glasgow, on 3 May.

He drove them to a beauty spot in the Campsie Fells, near Lennoxtown, before stabbing them and attempting to set the car on fire.

Sentence on Kalyanjee was deferred for reports at the High Court in Glasgow.

The court heard how both boys had been due to attend a family birthday party, but Kalyanjee called their mother Giselle, 41, and asked if he could take them to see their grandmother.

Paul initially said he did not want to go but changed his mind after his father offered him 10.

Kalyanjee, who was born in India, then left his house and bought a wok and large chef's knife from an ironmongers in Glasgow.

When he arrived to collect the boys he told them he would take them to the park to play football.

'Bye babies'

As they were about to leave Jay, two, said: "Mum, I really don't want to go." However, he eventually left with his father.

The last words Giselle said to her young sons as they drove off were: "Bye babies."

Kalyanjee, of Dundasvale Court, Townhead, later phoned Giselle on Paul's mobile phone and told her: "Your babies are fine. Your babies are fine."

The court was told that Giselle thought his voice was "cold and strange".

Kalyanjee then said: "You'll regret everything that you have done to me in life" and hung up.

This death is near. I have become a gambler, a drunk, nothing has become of me
Ashok Kalyanjee
During the afternoon Giselle tried to contact Kalyanjee by phone and at his home.

Believing that he may try to flee the country with their sons, she eventually contacted police.

She also spoke to Kalyanjee's mother, Maya Devi, who had also been unable to get hold of him.

The court heard that at about 1650 BST a couple saw a man slumped in the driver's seat of his Mercedes at a lay-by at Crow Road, Lennoxtown.

When police arrived they noticed an overpowering smell of petrol in the car and saw that the man had large blisters on his bare arms, the backs of his hands and on his face.

They also saw a large black-handled knife, with blood on the blade, sitting on the footwell between the man's legs.

The officers then saw Paul lying across the seat back seat and Jay lying curled in the rear passenger footwell. Both had injuries to their necks.

Stab wounds

They could also see fire damage to the roof of the car and two empty vodka bottles with a dictaphone lying nearby.

Paramedics and doctors were called to the scene but discovered both children had been dead for some time. Forensic science experts believe that Jay was stabbed first.

The dictaphone found beside the car was played and two voices were heard - Kalyanjee speaking in Punjabi and a child.

The recording begins in Punjabi with Kalyanjee saying: "This is a very big story. Its purpose is that I'm speaking in Punjabi because my children are with me.

Lennoxtown scene
The B822 Crow Road was closed off after the bodies were found

"If I spoke English they would understand and today is the last day. These children are mine and they'll go with me."

Later on he says: "This death is near. I have become a gambler, a drunk, nothing has become of me."

He then switches to English and tells the child: "I would always miss you. So we're gonnae have a very good game today, very good fun today baby.

"We're going to live together. Nobody can separate us. Nobody can separate us now."

Kalyanjee then switches to Punjabi again and says he is worried about his mother.

The court was told that Kalyanjee suffered burns and smoke inhalation from the fire and was in hospital until 19 June this year.

His burns healed quickly but he developed a chest infection, MRSA, renal failure and pneumonia.

Doctors could find no evidence of obvious mental disorder.

Admitted guilt

When he was interviewed by police about the deaths of his sons, Kalyanjee denied murdering them.

He also claimed to have been raped in Glasgow city centre by two men who then tried to set him on fire.

Kalyanjee finally admitted his guilt at a hearing last week and pled guilty to murdering Paul and Jay on Wednesday.

At the High Court in Glasgow, Judge Lord Brailsford deferred sentencing until next month for reports.

Kalyanjee and Giselle married in March 2001 and their first son Paul was born in November of that year.

The couple divorced in 2004 after he claimed being married made his debt problems worse.

But they carried on seeing each other and in January 2006 son Jay was born.

Giselle lived in her own house with the children while Kalyanjee visited them on a regular basis.

Paul and Jay were buried together in a cemetery in Riddrie, Glasgow.

Print Sponsor

Man admits causing sons' deaths
20 Nov 08 |  Glasgow, Lanarkshire and West
Father charged with sons' murders
16 Jul 08 |  Glasgow, Lanarkshire and West

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific