BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Friday, 17 August 2007, 09:30 GMT 10:30 UK
'This must never happen again'
Annette Doyle
Annette Doyle was the youngest employee killed in the explosion
Families who lost loved-ones in the Stockline factory explosion have said they want a guarantee that the tragic events will never be allowed to happen again.

Relatives of Annette Doyle, an employee who died when the plant where she worked collapsed around her, fought back tears as they remembered the moment they first heard about the disaster.

The 34-year-old lost her life following the blast in Maryhill.

Her father Joe Doyle said the whole family were still praying for justice.

He told BBC Scotland his daughter's presence was missed every day.

He said: "Annette loved singing, the house was always filled with the sound of her singing or her music - the house is so silent now, the atmosphere has changed and we'll never get it back."

He added: "I was on the scene within minutes of it happening.

"I was in the car and there was a news flash on the radio, I tucked in behind an ambulance flying down Maryhill Road. I broke the speed limit to get there.

"The police were still trying to cordon off the area. It was so unreal, in my head I was wanting to run down there and pull at the rubble and they're saying no.

"When you know your loved-one is in there, you just want to get there and do everything you can."

Rosemary Doyle
I prayed that she would be in a nook or cranny somewhere
Rosemary Doyle
Annette's mother

Annette's mother Rosemary said she had prayed that her daughter was still safe beneath the mountains of rubble that was left where the factory once stood.

She arrived at the scene shortly after a frantic call from her husband, who had been moved to the nearby community centre along with other worried relatives of those trapped inside the factory.

"Annette had always been a lucky child, everything had always worked out for her," she said.

"I prayed that she would be in a nook or cranny somewhere and would still be safe beneath the fallen building."

Rosemary added that the family had been left in limbo while the investigation into the explosion took place.

She said: "It's been three years now waiting to find out what really happened that day. We haven't been able to move on - our life is on hold.

"We won't be happy until we find out the truth."

Annette's sister Angela Taylor added: "Life changes and there are so many things I wish I could talk to my sister about.

"We don't even know what happened that day. We don't have closure, deep down we are praying for someone to tell us that this is never going to happen again."

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific