BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Friday, 3 August 2007, 17:11 GMT 18:11 UK
Post-mortem on airport attack man
Kafeel Ahmed
Kafeel Ahmed had been in hospital since the attack

A post-mortem examination is to be carried out on the body of a badly burned man involved in the terror attack at Glasgow Airport.

Kafeel Ahmed died at Glasgow Royal Infirmary on Thursday evening.

The 27-year-old, from Bangalore, India, had suffered burns to 90% of his body after driving his blazing Jeep into the terminal building.

The procurator fiscal said that once a cause of death had been confirmed, Ahmed's body would be released.

Ahmed's parents have not been officially informed that their son is the dead man, the Ahmed family lawyer, BT Venkatash, said on Friday.

Media reports

He explained: "British authorities have not confirmed if this is Kafeel Ahmed or any other person."

Mr Venkatash added that the only indication that Ahmed was dead was from the media.

A Crown Office spokesman told BBC Scotland's news website: "Where, as in this case, the procurator fiscal instructs a post-mortem, then, on being satisfied that a cause of death has been properly established, the procurator fiscal would authorise release of the remains to the next-of-kin, or other person lawfully entitled to receive them, for disposal."

Ahmed had been transferred to the specialist burns unit at Glasgow Royal Infirmary from the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley soon after the incident on Saturday, 30 June.

Airport scene
The airport incident took place on 30 June

He was being kept under armed guard and had been described by health officials as being in a critical condition.

Contrary to earlier reports, Ahmed was not a medic but an engineer with a PhD in design and technology.

Images of Ahmed being detained at Glasgow Airport have been shown around the world.

Passengers used their cameras and mobile phones to record how an off-duty policeman used a fire extinguisher to try to save the terror suspect after he drove a second-hand Jeep packed with propane gas canisters into a doorway.

Ahmed studied at Queen's University in Belfast where he completed a post-graduate course in aeronautical engineering in 2001.

He stayed in the city for a further three years as a research assistant.

Kafeel Ahmed being detained by police at Glasgow airport
Kafeel Ahmed had suffered 90% burns when he was arrested

Ahmed studied for his PhD in the department of design and technology at Anglia Polytechnic University (now called Anglia Ruskin University) in Cambridge.

The incident at Glasgow Airport has resulted in the second man in the Jeep, Bilal Talal Samad Abdullah, being charged with conspiracy to cause explosions.

Ahmed's brother Dr Sabeel Ahmed, who was arrested near Liverpool's Lime Street station on 30 June, has also been charged under the Terrorism Act.

The 26-year-old is accused of not disclosing information that could have helped police arrest a suspected terrorist.

Another doctor has also been charged in connection with the Glasgow attack and the two earlier failed car bombings in London.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific