BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Friday, 4 May 2007, 16:26 GMT 17:26 UK
Sex killer Tobin's violent past
Jonathan Lessware
BBC Scotland news website

He was a registered sex offender who had been wanted by police for a year.

Peter Tobin
Tobin appeared on Crimewatch in 1993 after a double attack

Yet despite having a conviction for a horrific attack on two 14-year-old girls, Peter Tobin was able to avoid detection until he was arrested for the rape and murder of Angelika Kluk.

The church handyman was sentenced to 14 years in prison at Winchester Crown Court in Hampshire in 1994 for the assault.

After his release in December 2004, he moved to Paisley, East Renfrewshire but within 10 months the authorities had lost track of him.

The case has once again raised questions over the early release and monitoring of sex offenders.

Tobin, who is originally from Scotland, has a criminal record which appears to date back to 1965.

It has been reported that at the age of seven he was sent to a reform school.

He then spent time in a young offenders' institution and served jail terms for burglary, forgery and conspiracy.

Forced at knifepoint

In 1993, Tobin attacked the two 14-year-olds in his flat in Havant, Hampshire.

The court heard how he lured the girls to his home, held them captive at knifepoint and forced them to take sedatives.

He raped one of them while she was partially conscious and indecently assaulted the other.

Tobin fled to Coventry where he sought refuge among an evangelical Christian community using a false name to cover his tracks.

Just days after he left, members of the Jesus Fellowship Church saw his face on the BBC's Crimewatch programme and alerted the police. He was arrested shortly afterwards.

Flat in Hampshire
Tobin attacked the girls at his flat in Havant, Hampshire

Unlike the Angelika Kluk case, Tobin pleaded guilty to the attack.

The judge described it as "an appalling incident, I think the worst I have ever come across".

Anthony Davies, prosecuting, told the court: "Tobin treated the girls as cruelly as a cat would treat a mouse."

After his release, Tobin returned to his native Scotland, to a home in Paisley.

It is believed he then attacked another girl in the flat.

In October 2005 a warrant was issued for his arrest after he failed to notify the police that he had changed his address but they failed to trace him.

In May 2006, Tobin was again seeking refuge through a religious organisation.

He arrived at St Patrick's Church in Anderston and took advantage of homeless group Loaves and Fishes.

Finally arrested

Exploiting the "open doors policy", he worked as an odd job man under the false name of Pat McLaughlin.

Two days after murdering Ms Kluk, Strathclyde Police interviewed Tobin about her disappearance.

However, despite the outstanding warrant and a picture which had been widely circulated around the country's forces, they failed to make the connection.

Tobin fled to London where he was finally arrested in a hospital.

On a Polish community message board she was using to search for her sister, Ms Kluk's sister Aneta described how she felt hearing that Tobin was in the frame for the killing.

"He's a psychopath, not a person," she said. "How could the police lose track of him in the electronic age?"

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific