BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Saturday, 27 October 2007, 09:07 GMT 10:07 UK
Taxing Times
A calculator
Even if you are not self-employed you may have income to declare

Next Wednesday is not only Halloween, but it is also the last day for you to tell HM Revenue & Customs that you need a tax return form, if you had unexpected income or gains in the tax year that ended last April.

People who, for example, have received large amounts from a one-off sale of windfall shares,
may need to declare them.

Angela Beech, from chartered accountants Blick Rothenberg, explains more.

Further information:

External internet links:

Tax returns/self assessment
HM Revenue & Customs' self assessment helpline is open every day including bank holidays, but not including Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day, from 8am to 8pm: 0845 900 0444, or from outside the UK +44 161 931 9070.

General tax links

Money Box



Download or subscribe to this programme's podcast

Podcast Help

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


banner watch listen bbc sport Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific