Six people were struck with baton rounds after police came under fire during rioting in County Down.
Vehicles were set on fire during the trouble
It is understood up to 200 people were involved in the trouble in Bangor on Wednesday night. Police said shots were fired at officers.
They also came under attack from petrol bombs, stones and fireworks in the Kilcooley estate. A number of cars were also set alight.
There were no reports of any serious injuries.
The violence followed searches linked to terrorist-related crime.
It is believed that a number of people attending a funeral were held up by the searches.
Chief superintendent Graham Shields, district commander for the area, said a number of shots had been fired at the police.
"We believe seven rounds were discharged in two separate incidents, the first of which followed the police being lured onto the Clandeboye Road following the report of a vehicle on fire," he said.
"Police vehicles were attacked with petrol bombs and paint bombs, and we also believe at that stage four rounds were discharged at one of our vehicles."
Community worker Mark Gordon said a meeting was to be held with the police to discuss the violence.
"We're hoping today with the meeting that we'll be holding with PSNI and other community representatives that we'll be able to get this calmed back down again," he said.
The mayor of North Down, the Alliance's Stephen Farry, said: "These types of scenes were supposed to be behind us, and we must be thankful that there are no reports of any casualties."