BBC Home
Explore the BBC
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC NEWS CHANNEL
Last Updated: Wednesday, 18 July 2007, 16:26 GMT 17:26 UK
Boy burned in strimmer accident
The boy's clothes were badly burned
The boy's clothes were badly burned
A 14-year-old boy has been taken to hospital with serious burns after an incident at his home in Poleglass on the outskirts of west Belfast.

It is understood the teenager sustained burns to his face, arms and legs after the accident involving a petrol strimmer in the Ardcaoin Park area.

A hospital spokesperson said he was in a stable condition.

His neighbour, Joe Murphy, said he called an ambulance after hearing the boy call for help.

"I was upstairs when I heard him shouting for help," he said.

"I came running down the stairs and there he was, his clothes were stuck to him, the skin was peeling off his arms, his face was black, he was just squealing.

"I rushed him into the house and got tea towels soaked in cold water and put them over his hands and face."




VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
Where the accident took place





FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific